Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 2nd 2009  (Read 2298 times)

winter steel

Chilliwack River, January 2nd 2009
« on: January 02, 2009, 04:08:30 PM »

Went for a scouting trip/fishing expedition. On the way out and at the river roads were okay, parking difficult, just be careful.  Many of the runs of yesteryear that produced fish have changed some more than others; water is quite low and walking around is not a great idea unless you have studs or relatively new felt. Did not see any fish taken or hooked in the portions of the river I fished. Water clarity could be better, especially in the lower end where it is at about 1 1/2 to two feet at best. Temperature hovered around freezing for the most part of the day and water temperature was between 40-41 degrees, but little wind which was nice. Tight lines to those venturing out this weekend, WS.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 04:22:34 PM by DionJL »

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Steel 09
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 07:20:57 PM »

Fished the Vedder today for my first ever Steelhead outing. I did not have high expectations but just wanted to get out there in the sunshine. I started things out under the bridge at Keith Wilson. Water conditions were pretty murky but the weather was epic, with sunshine streaming down. About a half hour later I decided to move up river in search of some better water. I found a promising looking spot and rigged up a small gooey bob with some orange bling yarn, both of which had been soaking in anise scent. Three casts later I had my first Steelhead ever on the line, it struck on the tailout in about 2 feet of water. This thing rocketed out of the water showing a beautiful chrome fish with some rosey pink cheeks. I was blown away by how fast it was, within 20 seconds it had spit the hook and took off. All in all this brief hookup made my day!

Sinaran

Re: Steel 09
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 09:31:57 PM »

great report.. :) 
I am sure u would land one on your next trip.  Those things are absolutely blazing i tell ya, i remembered hooking my first one couple years back, it sprinted across the river right after the hookset, then followed by acrobatic moves and a few jumps, it was just frenzy.......
keep up with the good work!
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 09:49:09 PM »

Well done on hooking a steelhead on your first outing.

They usually are called a fish of a thousand casts.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 12:05:51 AM »

thanks guys, a "fish of a thousand casts" is what I was expecting and I nearly had a heart attack when I realized I had a fish on, very exciting!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 11:39:31 AM »

thanks guys, a "fish of a thousand casts" is what I was expecting and I nearly had a heart attack when I realized I had a fish on, very exciting!

Thats the feeling were always going for, althought the first one is always the best one! 
The Bigger The Better!

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Re: Chilliwack River, January 2nd 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 09:24:15 PM »

Took me 4 years and many outings to get my first so you are one lucky man to hook one on your first trip :) Gotta love the unpredictablity
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Fishmaster J

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 04:04:38 PM »

Thousand casts indeed.  Took me many many many hours for my first.  But last winter after I replaced my old shattered drift rod and ambassadeur with a gloomis and islander centerpin, I caught and landed a beautiful wild hen the first morning I had it on the river! To add to that, it had been really slow,  and no one around had even though or pretended like they had a hit all morning!    That was the most expensive fish that I have ever caught

Fishmaster J

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 04:06:26 PM »

And nevermind,  8 years into this crazy life we call stealheading I have caught my small share of steelies,  but have never landed a hatchery fish!  No idea what a steelhead even tastes like!!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 04:08:48 PM »

And nevermind,  8 years into this crazy life we call stealheading I have caught my small share of steelies,  but have never landed a hatchery fish!  No idea what a steelhead even tastes like!!

Hatchery steelhead are some of God's tastiest creatures  ;D
Actions speak louder than words.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 07:32:28 PM »

I heard that the Japanese rate Steelhead the highest among the salmonid family. The seafood gift store in the airport sells lots of steelhead fillet. Don't know where these steelies come from. Is steelhead raised commericially like Atlantic salmon?

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 08:59:25 PM »

I regularly see wild caught steel head in washington grocery stores