Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it just me, or has the searun cutthroat fishery been slow so far this year?  (Read 2230 times)

cdjk123

I've just been having a devil of a time finding feeding fish this year. I remember last year being a lot easier.

Sometimes it feels like fishing for cutthroat is 95% driving or walking, and 5% fishing.

Thoughts?

flyrod

• Old Timer

My son has been on the Harrison River yesterday and three weeks ago in his boat. He covered from Weaver creek to the mouth and found nothing. River is high and cuties are spread out. Tough finding them.

Every Day

• Old Timer

It has a lot to do with water temperatures this year. Way colder than the last 2 years - warmest river I fished this year (before the rains this past week) was only 4.2C.

They follow fry around, and there haven't been many fry emerging yet due to water temps. I saw my first couple large schools of fry just a week ago. As water gets warmer, they'll pop out more and the cutties will follow and get easier to catch.

cdjk123

Good to know, thanks Dan.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Was on the river Friday afternoon. Large numbers of fry in the shallows and bugs gathering in good numbers. I saw at least 2 different species of mayflies, 3 stoneflies from about #16 to a large blackbodied #8, midges/chironomids plus lots of honey bees in the film. Water temps at about 3pm was about 10 C.

I saw a few rises but was not much sign of fish

The Fraser is high and dirty.

The is the slowest winter/spring season I have experienced in some time and I do think is it is primarily due to low water temperature.

But given spring is here and the apparent success of the chum spawn I'd think prospects will improve quickly.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Jk47

It's been really slow. Steelhead too as I'm sure we all concur. I believe the long hot dry summers we had the last two years may have played a role in these two year spawn cycle fish. Specifically not last summer as much as the year before. Every stream in b.c. was down to a trickle with record high water temps. I believe there was a high mortality rate in the young fish before they had a chance to get to the ocean. Thoughts?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

For trout I think most of it is water temperature.  Lots of lakes still have ice in some of the cold corners, Still lots of snow on the shaded side of hills by some of the lakes that have ice off. Warmest water temp i found was 5C. I haven't temped or fished some of the back currents or holes yet. It was 5C on my drive to work today, guess its just a later season or a more normal season??