Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30

Author Topic: 2017 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 150103 times)

milo

• Old Timer

Sorry for making you feel disturbed milo.

I just find it hard to believe that people can be so selfish. So what you are suggesting is because people have little time to fish, they will not clean up after themselves?!
And that should be condoned, even tolerated?

But then again, I guess those are the same people that throw their garbage out their car windows, leave a mess behind themselves in public washrooms, don't recycle their garbage...It's a mentality - it's what they (didn't) learn in their households. Those are the same people that would loot a store if they believed they won't get caught.
I only hope they don't fish by my side because they will get an earful...and maybe more.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!

Leave people with one fishing day and they won't care for the river. Allow people to make their own decisions when to fish and they will start taking great care of the river and the stock.

:( ::) :-\

poper

Leave people with one fishing day and they won't care for the river. Allow people to make their own decisions when to fish and they will start taking great care of the river and the stock.
Lol
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:57:37 PM by poper »

Ambassador

But then again, I guess those are the same people that throw their garbage out their car windows, leave a mess behind themselves in public washrooms, don't recycle their garbage...It's a mentality - it's what they (didn't) learn in their households. Those are the same people that would loot a store if they believed they won't get caught.
I only hope they don't fish by my side because they will get an earful...and maybe more.
This was going through my mind recently while we were standing on the KWB watching one of the snagger's dragging his fish away from the crowd and proceeding to bonk and gut it (after a young lad netted it for him - nice lesson for the next generation >:( ) - then throw it into a clear fish bag to show everyone how legit his catch was.

If you do that crap with people all around you - how do you act when there are no eyes on you? This gross lack of respect or ethics doesn't stop once you leave the river.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

dobrolub

I just find it hard to believe that people can be so selfish.
The majority aren't. Though I believe that selfish behaviour might temporarily increase given the new circumstances.

The other side of it is - having paid full fee for the license and the stamps people might feel cheated being stripped of fishing opportunities. And a pissed off person is not in a good control of his behaviour.

Just a thought.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer

The other side of it is - having paid full fee for the license and the stamps people might feel cheated being stripped of fishing opportunities. And a pissed off person is not in a good control of his behaviour.

Strange to say it but I think you've changed my mind. Illegal dumping is excusable provided the dumper feels either (a) cheated, (b) pissed off, or (c) both.

I don't think I can add anything more than sarcasm to this conversation so I'll wander away now  ::)

ribolovac02

It is so pathetic to think that the price of the fishing licence( which is dirt cheap , given the fact , what opportunities you are given to take advantage of , while possessing one) would change a pearsons morals .
I really I'm saddened by your point of view , and I hope that many here will never absorb this attitude towards nature .

It is priceless what we get to enjoy in this beautiful province , and country of ours,and I really hope people c that the same way I do .

I don't post  here much but this particular point of view disturbed me , the same way Milo felt , I feel I'm in the same shoes...

dobrolub

Hm.. I am just trying to find reasons behind an increase in the amount of garbage which, according to the sentiment in this thread, increases. I am not sure why you seem to think that these are excuses. Perhaps you are looking for excuses ?  ;)

Tylsie

This was going through my mind recently while we were standing on the KWB watching one of the snagger's dragging his fish away from the crowd and proceeding to bonk and gut it (after a young lad netted it for him - nice lesson for the next generation >:( ) - then throw it into a clear fish bag to show everyone how legit his catch was.

If you do that crap with people all around you - how do you act when there are no eyes on you? This gross lack of respect or ethics doesn't stop once you leave the river.

I am curious, beyond TOWing; which is legal... disgusting but legal (I am assuming you are referring to flossing unless the fish was snagged in the back or tail) what did he do wrong? Move away from others fishing so that he can more easily and safely play the fish? I try to do that. Netted the Fish? Maybe he was uncomfortable trying to tail it. That does take skill. Quickly dispatched the fish and bled it so that tastes better and doesn't suffer? Seems reasonable. Put it in a food safe bag so that gravel, dirt, and other stuff does not end up in the belly cavity? Seems like common sense. Now if this fish was snagged, in say the back, tail or stomach why post here? Report it to the authorities!

Anyways, back to the purpose of this thread. A took up spey casting last year and invited me to come try it out on Monday. Water was low and clear. Good day, my casting... not so much. Did manage a couple of pinks but think that was mostly through dumb luck. Saw Coho moving but unless I am seems (to me at least) Chinook were down this year. They are around but not in the normal numbers. Not even any boot leather to be seen.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing

Blame the "millenials". They are too busy checking their snap chat to worry about cleaning up. They come out to the Valley for a day, take pictures of how outdoorsy they are and slither back to the city leaving their mess for the magic to clean up. #cleanupyourmesskiddies
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

BNF861

• Old Timer

I don't think it is quite fair or even correct to blame it on a generation  ::)

The problem consists of irresponsible people young and old. I am not a millennial, but even within "my generation" there are responsible good people and there are irresponsible losers all within the same age group.

I mean you're an older guy Rod that grew up before the internet was even invented but here you are using a computer and posting on the internet like a youngin  ;D

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

Blame the "millenials". They are too busy checking their snap chat to worry about cleaning up. They come out to the Valley for a day, take pictures of how outdoorsy they are and slither back to the city leaving their mess for the magic to clean up. #cleanupyourmesskiddies

Lmao. I guess I'm a Gen Xer. That's the label giving to my people.

The folks I see littering are the pigs. I can call out one pig. He was posed up in Alison pools. Sat in the same spot bottom bouncing the tailout. Wore waders without a belt, stained red from bait, plowing nuts in his mouth, ripping at the end of every drift, I say hi as I walk by, doesn't even say hello or care that his Timmy cup is drifting down the river. The people that litter are pigs. I fish that river once or twice during the time of year and every time I see those pigs. Come to think of it, the pigs all seem to be Gen Xers. Hmm.... Not me tho.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Hahaha.. whatever you say, "old man"! Pretty sure the "next" generation is way more hip to environmental impact than those that went before.

But keep spouting your media-driven hivemind thoughts. ;)

*edit - I retract the above; as Milo pointed out, some of the crap I've seen young campers and tubers leave behind is atrocious. Apologies Rod, though I still feel my hackles raise when people blame all of the things on millennials.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 09:33:22 AM by Tex »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I don't know a lot, but what I do know is that I know what's best for the fish and everyone else is always wrong..... #fact

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Sooooo, who else is excited for the rain tomorrow?   ;D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30