Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Budget Baitcaster Recommendations  (Read 2941 times)

Dylb

Budget Baitcaster Recommendations
« on: June 28, 2019, 07:29:34 PM »

Hey guys,

I’m looking to pick up my first baitcaster rod/reel. I’m on a pretty tight budget for this one, around $150 give or take. Looking for something mainly for coho, but that would stand a chance if I happened to hook a larger chum or spring.

Hoping some of you have some first hand experience/recommendations on a decent budget option for a beginner rod.

Thanks in advance, cheers.

Snagly

Re: Budget Baitcaster Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 08:39:57 PM »

I would go on eBay and look for a used Abu Ambassadeur in a size able to hold 200 yards of 20lb braided line. These are simple-to-maintain, rugged and affordable reels. There may also be a case to be made for a used Shimano baitcaster as they are smoother than the Ambassadeurs, but they are also more difficult to maintain on your own.

For the rod, I don't know the Canuck equivalents but Rainshadow and Lamiglas make medium-priced rods that offer high end performance. If they are out of your price range, buy a Cabela's Fish Eagle II 9'0" rod rated for either 10-20lb line, or one grade lower.
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

Dylb

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 08:55:49 PM »

Thanks for the reply!

I have been searching for good used options, I will see what I can find for those.

In anyone's opinion, would I be wasting my time with anything under 8'?

Lots of cheaper options, with good reviews, around the 7' mark

Thanks again

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 10:08:34 PM »

This is a river setup?  Definitely look for a used Ambassadeur.   My preference is the 6500 (left handed models end in 01, so 6501) C4, but now the only make the 6600 series C4, which have a different free-spool lever that kind of sucks.  The C3 series is also good, it just has a slightly slower gear ratio, but it is also cheaper.  A couple years ago I found an ambassadeur 6501 C3 and Shimano convergence from a guy in Chilliwack for $100 cash (canadian).  If you see a deal like that, it is perfect, jump on it.  Make sure you play with the reel a bit to make sure it runs smooth and the level-wind mechanism works properly (these wear out but are easy to fix).  DONT buy the Ambassaduer "S" series - the are cheaply made and won't last.

For a rod, you want a 10 & 1/2 foot, rated for no more than 20lb line, preferably lighter.  Right now Yeager's in Bellingham is having a tent sale with Lamiglas X-11 and Okuma SST rods for $75 (US) each, including 10 &1/2 footers - if they aren't sold out (although they periodically re-stock the tent).  You also can't go wrong with a shimano convergence if you can find a used one online (also don't make those anymore).  None of these rods are fancy, but on par with that level of reel.

I have strong opinions, and I like to share them. Good luck!

dave c

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 08:04:43 AM »

Check Buy & Sell in this forum.  Hammer is selling an Ambassader 6500C and Quantum Tour Rod 10'6" for $125.00.  Good Luck.  Tight Lines.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 10:56:20 AM »

In anyone's opinion, would I be wasting my time with anything under 8'?

Lots of cheaper options, with good reviews, around the 7' mark

You havent said what type of coho fishing you want to do. Shorter rods will work for tossing spoons or twitiching jigs, though I would suggest a spinning rod would be a better choice for that.

For drift fishing, longer rods make it easier to cast deeper setups and manage your line. Around here we seemed to have standardized to the 10.5' length around here but that's hardly the final word. In the US, they commonly use shorter rods for exactly the same type of fishing, while out east they often steelhead with much longer rods

When you say 7' options with good reviews, I assume you are talking about buying online? I'll bet those are all bass rods. They will get the job done more or less, but accept that there are some situations they may be a limiting factor. FWIW I think it's actually kind of fun to play coho on a short (ie bass) rod, though 10' is going to be more versatile overall.

If you are going to source locally, then follow CohoJake's advice and get something in the 10-11' range as that's whats most commonly available here, and are long proven to be well suited to our local fisheries. Should be some good deals in the used market as others have noted.

Dylb

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 12:55:08 PM »

You havent said what type of coho fishing you want to do. Shorter rods will work for tossing spoons or twitiching jigs, though I would suggest a spinning rod would be a better choice for that.

Yeah my bad on that, looking for drift fishing.

I have a smaller spinning rod I use for spoons and jigging and I agree, coho are definitely more fun on a smaller rod!

Just looking to expand my horizons and get something heavier that I can drift with, so thanks again for all the excellent input guys. I’m thinking used is my best option as the price jumps up quite a bit for new rods over 8’

Dylb

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 01:08:50 PM »

This is a river setup?  Definitely look for a used Ambassadeur.   My preference is the 6500 (left handed models end in 01, so 6501) C4, but now the only make the 6600 series C4, which have a different free-spool lever that kind of sucks.  The C3 series is also good, it just has a slightly slower gear ratio, but it is also cheaper.  A couple years ago I found an ambassadeur 6501 C3 and Shimano convergence from a guy in Chilliwack for $100 cash (canadian).  If you see a deal like that, it is perfect, jump on it.  Make sure you play with the reel a bit to make sure it runs smooth and the level-wind mechanism works properly (these wear out but are easy to fix).  DONT buy the Ambassaduer "S" series - the are cheaply made and won't last

Thank you for the specifics!

Found what looks like a good deal on a 5000 series.

I assume the “S” series models would have an “S” somewhere in the serial number when I go have a look at this thing?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 01:14:12 PM »

As far as the "S" series - the model is just "Ambassadeur 5500 S" instead of 5500 C4 or C3.  Model number followed by "S" = no thanks.

I just bought a new Tica HLHB106M2C, which is 10 & 1/2 feet and rated for 8-12 lb line.  They are $90 US here:  https://www.sportco.com/store/pc/Tica-Hlhb-Steelhead-Casting-Spinning-Rods-680p75522.htm  Something like that is the best compromise for me - long enough to work a float/mend line and light enough to make coho a lot of fun.

bobby b

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 05:18:20 PM »

Hammer reduced the price a while back...$100

This deal has ya totally covered....

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=42783.0

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 12:25:20 PM »

Get a low profile ambassador REVO