Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayne Island  (Read 6296 times)

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
Mayne Island
« on: July 19, 2014, 04:13:45 PM »

Hey All,

Was just wondering if any of you would be up to offering some info on fishing on Mayne Island. I'd be doing specifically catch and release and would be stuck to the docks and bays. Looking to fish while i'm there between August 21st and 25th. Last year the girlfriend and I were jigging off one of the docks and we managed some perch and a small greenling. Hoping to get into some different species.

Any Info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

-NexusGoo

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Mayne Island
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 07:47:50 PM »

We've got a cabin over there and I rarely fish, let alone off docks and bays. I am sure you could find some cod around the island, but check regulations as to the closed off areas.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 11:35:34 PM »

The miners bay dock is probably your best bet from shore.As long aayou have a tidal license your good there.

ShaunO

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 01:40:09 PM »

Please check the regs as there is a Rockfish Conservation Area known as Mayne Island North that runs along the northeast side of the island across Active Pass to Gossip Island.  Also, on the south/southeast side of Mayne that forms the Navy Channel there is also a RCA.  There is no hook and line fishing in RCA's.  Period.

See here: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s18-eng.html

And here: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/map-carte-eng.asp?initExtent=-13775015.540764553,6201081.868892021,-13683596.854935447,6292194.806607985

Depending if there is a Sockeye opening or not, fishing in Miners Bay, which is not in the RCA, can be very productive.  We've trolled slack tide and been very successful for Pinks and Sockeyes (when open).  We've been fishing right off the beach in 30' of water and caught many fish so if you wanted to cast buzzbombs or other jigs from the end of the Miners Bay dock you might just get lucky.  Sounds like you'll be on Mayne at the right time of year as the Sockeye are passing through right around then.

Good luck! And if all else fails, sit on the patio of the Springwater Inn and take in the view over a pint of Victoria Lager and some local caught scallops wrapped in bacon! Mmmmmm... :D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:41:46 PM by ShaunO »

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 05:43:08 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the info, we're staying in a friends cabin so good times will be had. We'll find somewhere not in a RCA to go and wet our lines.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 08:00:44 PM »

Good luck! And if all else fails, sit on the patio of the Springwater Inn and take in the view over a pint of Victoria Lager and some local caught scallops wrapped in bacon! Mmmmmm... :D

Amen right there, sounds like you go a lot. I've been going there since 1977.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 08:52:02 PM »

The last time I stayed at the Springwater was shortly after the dock burned (1990?).  An otter raided our boat, and someone stole one of the two twin beds from our room, so my father took the mattress and I got the box spring. Has it been renovated, or is it still full of its original charm?

ShaunO

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 10:15:41 PM »

Amen right there, sounds like you go a lot. I've been going there since 1977.

1977 here too!  Was pretty much raised on Galiano and have spent a number of afternoons, evenings and nights on Mayne.  The Springwater is always involved!!

The last time I stayed at the Springwater was shortly after the dock burned (1990?).  An otter raided our boat, and someone stole one of the two twin beds from our room, so my father took the mattress and I got the box spring. Has it been renovated, or is it still full of its original charm?

I believe it's been updated, but it is still "charming" in a Gulf Island kind of way... :D

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 07:27:31 PM »

Yeah it has been for a while now, we go to our family cabin 5 times a year. We'll be back August long weekend. Hopefully going to get out on Merlin with my step dad for a little trolling.

I've never stayed at the Springwater, just used the pub for pleasurable times.