Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing report. Bow river Sept 17  (Read 1872 times)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
Fishing report. Bow river Sept 17
« on: September 17, 2004, 04:34:52 PM »

Howdy all,

So I will have to admit that I am really sad that I will not get a chance to fish on the wet coast for the salmon, but I have been surviving by flogging the "Mighty bow"  ::) for some trout and white fish.

So I cut out of work 4 hours early to "work" from home and geared up for some nyphing the bow right in the middle of Calgary.  I got to my new favorite spot just after lunch. Oh by the way, it has been pretty sunny here for the last couple of days, with the occasional sprinkle at night.  Hows the weather been out there ?  :P  Anyways, I was nymphing a san juan worm immitation for about an hour without much more than a couple of small fish.  So I was about to call it a day but I switched to a brown prince nymph, and that made such a hugh difference.  within 4 casts, I had 3 fish!  This river is so weird.  It almost seems like there are no fish at times, then wam! you cant keep them off.  Anyways, the most notable fish were a 2-3 # whitefish, and a large rainbow that came off just before I landed it.  I need to get a net I think.

One last note.  The white fish here are actually ugly compared to the ones that I have caught in the vedder.  Much darker, kind of a muddy yellow colour. and the Rainbows are different looking to.  I should get a digital camera one of these days.

Cheers from sunny calgary.

Jon

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re:Fishing report. Bow river Sept 17
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 04:44:16 PM »

cheers mate, sounds like fun.

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
Re:Fishing report. Bow river Sept 17
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 04:50:33 PM »

Howdy all,

So I will have to admit that I am really sad that I will not get a chance to fish on the wet coast for the salmon, but I have been surviving by flogging the "Mighty bow"  ::) for some trout and white fish.

Thanks for the report.  Not too many folks here fishing the rivers for salmon these days either.

Looks like you won't be cheering for the Flames this season afterall also.  ;D
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

vinyllab

• I'm a llama!
Re: Fishing report. Bow river Sept 17
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 07:42:32 PM »

Hey Jonny 5,

I moved back to Calgary from Van in April. Have not been fishing here at all. Heard great things about the Bow, although you can't eat em? Or can you. Heading to the Vedder the first weekend in October. I just hope nobody has found my secret spot. 3 years and nobody had. lol.

Would love to get some tips on trout fishin and fly fishing. I only got into fishing when I was in Vancouver so I was never interested when I lived in Calgary before. Now I am itching to go.

vinyllab

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 09:00:46 AM »

lol.... yeah it has been some time. Moving back to Calgary was too hard. I think about Salmon fishing every minute. It has been too hard to venture on to here. I finally got the courage to check in. lol

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 10:18:44 AM »

Hey vinyllab, youve got mail

vinyllab

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 08:59:51 AM »

Mailed you back Jonny. Had to change my email on the forum. Got it going again.