Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So i reported this to the DFO....  (Read 13081 times)

Sinaran

So i reported this to the DFO....
« on: August 20, 2008, 10:14:10 PM »

walked by an FN reservation just few blocks away from my home at around 6pm, and saw a few signs like this attached to the poles.   I followed the direction and found another one hanging in front of a townhouse..  So i called the DFO and asked what's up with that, I gave every detail i could but as soon as i mentioned that spot was located in a reservation, person on the phone told me that there were no extra officers in the office, and if those sockeyes were from the island, it would've been legal..?  not quite sure about that. 
By the way, i live in east vancouver by kingsway and joyce st.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: So i reported this to the DFO....
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 10:25:40 PM »

DFO is turning a blind eye on the sale of sockeyes. Did you really expect them to do something ?  :(

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 10:38:08 PM »

I grew up at Kingsway and Joyce and there isn't a reservation near there. So you must mean native housing co-op. So they don't have any right to be selling fish from a co-op anyway. Just DFO giving you the gears as well. They will sell them from anywhere, anytime.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

fisheries

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 10:44:38 PM »

I saw them keep a Sturgeon that they caught in there net last year in chililwack.   Sad ::)

Camman

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 11:13:54 PM »

That grinds my gears. >:(

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 11:35:12 PM »

I grew up at Kingsway and Joyce and there isn't a reservation near there. So you must mean native housing co-op. So they don't have any right to be selling fish from a co-op anyway. Just DFO giving you the gears as well. They will sell them from anywhere, anytime.

I grew up in the Kingsway and Joyce area too.  Small world, eh?
I didn't realize there were Native only housing Co-ops.  Maybe he's a commercial guy selling on the side?
President Club S. C. & P.

Sinaran

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 01:17:23 AM »

yup, u r right. native housing co-op, that's the right name for it.  Those look like townhouses, and a medium-sized totem pole is standing right beside the main entrance.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 01:34:27 AM »

Why is DFO turning a blind eye to the sale of sockeye, and at Kingsway and Joyce of all places. Hey FA, if we just go along meekly accepting this attitude and turning a blind eye (or even 2) where and when does it end.  :D :o :D

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 08:22:03 AM »

Why is DFO turning a blind eye to the sale of sockeye, and at Kingsway and Joyce of all places. Hey FA, if we just go along meekly accepting this attitude and turning a blind eye (or even 2) where and when does it end.  :D :o :D

DFO is a joke imo.

They ruined the sockeye runs with ignoring the whole sea lice problem until it was late; typical bad gov't.

I have no idea what the solution is because most gov't we elect act the same stupid way.

ps.You'd actually have more success reporting the sales of sockeye to the city for selling without a business license or rev cnd for not paying taxes on these people.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:25:42 AM by dennisK »

baited breath

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 09:35:48 AM »

Let's assume for a minute that governments/DFO/etc all do exactly the same thing, no matter who is in power, for the forseeable future.   It is way too hard for politians to do anything about this and be perceived as anti-anything in the media so the prudent way out is just to skirt it and try to keep the optics as nice as they can.  Who really cares in downtown Toronto or Ottawa if some FN people sell sockeye on Joyce Street.   We have a race-based fishery and harvesting taking place by only one group year after year, and that's how it's likely gonna remain.  For a long time.  So how can we manage it so at least they aren't encouraged to over-harvest what they are being allocated and grab all the cash possible by sellling on the street, exporting to the states, etc.  Every extra fish = another extra $10 is a recipe for disaster.

In the old days the commmerccial guys used to haul everything to a central packing plant or two.  Sometimes by means of another vessell that acted like an intermediary so they could stay on the water longer.  Fairly sensible.  How about a centralized spot where the FN reserve members who are entitled to X fish/year show up with a drivers licence just like a voting booth and get their fish.  Maybe one spot per reserve.   The opening is for x days and the members have y days to come and pick them up.  Now we have some kind of count of how many fish are brought in and how many are dispensed.  Who's going to do the counting?  How about displaced fishermen from the commercial sector.  ;D   If nothing actually gets dispensed then voila, the whole thing has been running as a scam.  If someone told me I could have my year's supply of sockeye if I just show up, I'm sure I'd be there.  Oh, and yes there  will be fishermen ready to buy the 'extra' fish that the band members don't need as they haul them to their cars.  But now there are  a lot more people involved in the illlegal sales and the more people getting a cut, the less appealiing it is to everyone and at least it isn't a few fishermen controlling the whole catch straight off the water.   Illegal sales are a fact of life, from what I hear the allocation per person is extremely high in some cases and you can't reallly stop band members from selling their fish.   Decreased allocation = political incorrectness = not gonna happen so let's take this as a given as well.   Remember, we're just trying to make sure the fishermen aren't as easily incented to kill and kill.   As far as the FN fishermen are concerned, they need to have tags from the plant for their allocation before they hit the water.  Just like recreationals, they have to stamp the tag every time they catch, say, 50 fish.  That way DFO comes along and they have 200 fish and their tags need to be stamped.  These tags are numbered and those fish better show up at the plant.   If they don't, the next year's allocation to the band is decreased by that amount.   If FN fishermen are on the water with no tags, bye bye nets, charges laid,  and their names and band number are recorded for the chief.  Lower allocation for that band the following year and let the band sort it out how they handle the illegals on the water.   Oh, and the total allocation stays the same, with proportional increases to the bands that follow the rules and to commercials.  If they don't like the thought of commercials getting some of their share, politicians can easily say they have to run a responsible, accountable harvest or it will be done by those who can play by the rules.  For every year they run clean, they get some of their allocation back until they hit their original quota again.  Oh, and not all tags have to be for sockeye, either.  On pink years, they harvest mostly pinks.  Ottawa can spin the optics on this.  A salmon is reallly just a salmon in Ottawa.  If FN complain, a politician can point at archives where pinks were smoked by the thousands years ago and are actually pretty good when done right.  After all, sockeye's value is purely commercial....

Does it already run like this?  Is it too complicated?  i don't  know, just some thoughts and a talking point. ;D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 04:59:21 PM by baited breath »

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 09:42:30 AM »

FRESH FROZEN SOCKEYE :D am i the only person that finds that funny.
[

gheart008

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 10:18:50 AM »

I grew up in the Kingsway and Joyce area too.  Small world, eh?
I didn't realize there were Native only housing Co-ops.  Maybe he's a commercial guy selling on the side?

That's where I live too!

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 05:47:45 PM »

I'm sure there are many freezers on this board that have sockeye in them. :-\

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 06:27:34 PM »

Can't say I'm one of them.... I missed the opening  :'(  And I'm sure as hell not buying fish from natives, what a joke  >:(

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 08:18:39 PM »

I thought about this for a while-you might be able to nail them with the City Engineering-for the sign, and City Health-for selling food without a license/jumping through the proper hoops.

Make a few calls tomorrow AM I'm not sure if it's the Building Inspector you have to talk to about the sign or Engineering.

The Health Dept covers both Van and Richmond and is a bit of a different animal but I tell you true once they have their teeth in something they are like a dog with a bone they don't let go.

Be cool and low key offer to email the picture to whoever and you may see some results.

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/