Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sites or Groups for Cariboo Ice Conditions  (Read 2134 times)

Tylsie

Sites or Groups for Cariboo Ice Conditions
« on: December 10, 2021, 06:09:02 PM »

Does anyone know of any reliable sites or groups that discuss the ice conditions and water temperatures in the Cariboo, specifically around 100 Mile House? My fishing partner tried asking in a Cariboo outdoor group on Facebook but all they got was "cold" which isn't much help. And yes, I am aware of the travel restrictions but I will be working up there from Monday until Christmas and wondering if should pack ice fishing gear. 

Old Blue

Re: Sites or Groups for Cariboo Ice Conditions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 10:25:53 PM »

I would.  I'm working up near PG and things have frozen over the past few weeks.
Kamloops has lakes at 950m-1100 with 4"+ ice.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 04:30:09 AM »

Just call up Lone Butte Sporting goods and Mark Roseboom will give you a ice report. The bigger lakes on Hwy 24 like Horse lake have not completely froze over as of yet. The smaller lakes such as Crystal lake are safe for ice fishing. I have been seeing some pictures of Brook trout getting caught so far on social media from the 100 mile area. Good luck 

Tylsie

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 08:07:41 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Think I will throw a small tackle box, rod, and finder in a tote and take it. Calling for highs of -10 later in the week. That will get it frozen.

Tylsie

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 03:49:38 PM »

For anyone wondering, most of the lakes have decent ice on them. 5 inches or so on the smaller ones and in the bays. But the 40cm or more of snow that has fallen so far  has insulating it pretty good and the water from the cracks is anywhere from a few inches deep to about 10. The 10 is a guess but my boots are 8" high and they sure filled up when I broke through in one spot (always have spare shoes in the truck folks). Not sure if I hit a spring or what; but there was solid ice below.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 02:05:48 PM »

For anyone wondering, most of the lakes have decent ice on them. 5 inches or so on the smaller ones and in the bays. But the 40cm or more of snow that has fallen so far  has insulating it pretty good and the water from the cracks is anywhere from a few inches deep to about 10. The 10 is a guess but my boots are 8" high and they sure filled up when I broke through in one spot (always have spare shoes in the truck folks). Not sure if I hit a spring or what; but there was solid ice below.
What lakes did you fish? I was out there fishing Crystal lake and got into a few rainbows through the ice.

Tylsie

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 11:37:32 PM »

Fished Fawn. Ice was plenty thick but had about 2" of water under the snow. Got into a couple, but nothing big. Then I tried Sheridan. Sheridan is where I got the Soaker. The ice was plenty thick, with the snap cold lately I tried again this morning in a different spot  It was ok closer in but once you got close to Thomas Point the water was back and I was told the ice got thinner past it. Again, landed a few but nothing over 2lbs.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 03:22:53 PM »

Fished Fawn. Ice was plenty thick but had about 2" of water under the snow. Got into a couple, but nothing big. Then I tried Sheridan. Sheridan is where I got the Soaker. The ice was plenty thick, with the snap cold lately I tried again this morning in a different spot  It was ok closer in but once you got close to Thomas Point the water was back and I was told the ice got thinner past it. Again, landed a few but nothing over 2lbs.
Thanks for the report. Have heard the ice on the big lakes is not that great yet.