Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skeena in August  (Read 4054 times)

MetalAndFeathers

Skeena in August
« on: March 21, 2014, 02:26:40 PM »

Im heading to Terrace in august and ive never fished there before.Ive researched a bit and found that the Skeena river runs right by.Ive looked at reports in August and i saw that there is all species of salmon in there at the time including the steelhead.I realy wanna catch a steelhead on the fly to show my buddy i can catch steelies on the fly.I only have a 8 weight single hand rod with a sink tip line and another spool without the sink tip.I was wondering where i could fish (currently looking at the regs)and what to use (not looking for you`re secret lure/flyor anything)I also have a drift fishing rod i use for salmon.

thanks

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: Skeena in August
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 03:00:30 PM »

that is one trip i want to do as well. preferably with my old man while he still can. good luck and take lots of pics. I'm jealous

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »

bump

c-pin

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 11:06:35 AM »

There is a good chance I will be heading up in mid to late Sept.

If you visit the following tackle shops, they are a wealth of information on where to go and what gear to use.

Misty River Tackle - www.mistyrivertackle.com

North Coast Anglers

They have never steered me wrong. If you head along the Skeena to the Lakelse River, there are a few spots along the way right at the road side. There are other river you can get to by car; the Exstew and the Exchamstix (sp?). My avatar photo is a Coho caught in the Exstew in 2009.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

Fisherama

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 12:55:08 PM »

Good idea researching before you head up, hopefully you have at least a week to explore.  I've spent the last few summers up there working and will likely be up there again this year.  My experience is limited due to only having a few days off but I'll offer up what I can.

Your timing is good, you'll find a chart in this link that shows you prime times and availability for different species http://www.noelgyger.ca/.  The website is a great resource for that area and has up to date fishing reports, but I would take them with a grain of salt.  Explore rivers even if the rivers don't sound like they're fishing well, you may be surprised.  I didn't fish the Skeena much, with my limited time it was difficult to find suitable bars conducive to fly fishing without a boat.  You could always try ferry island if you don't mind crowds.  I mostly fished the Copper, Kalum and Kitimat Rivers all great for walk and wade fly fishing.  The Kalum and Kitimat River will be great for salmon fishing during that time if you're interested in pinks, chum and coho.  If your focus is on steelhead it may be best to concentrate your efforts on the Copper at that time (again coming from someone with limited experience in that area).  I had good success last August on the Copper for summer runs and coho.  That river is a bit moody and tends to silt up a lot if it rains or warms up, but don't be put off by poor visibility.  Below is a picture of a coho that hammered a 4" marabou tube fly on the retrieve with poor visibility.

If you're planning on exploring the Copper and other Skeena Tribs, it would probably be best to carry a radio programmed with the proper frequencies when you head up.  The roads will be busy that time of year.  You can rent them for cheap at Coast Mountain Wireless in town.

Good luck and we may cross paths up there.

Burbot

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 04:02:55 AM »

Exactly two weeks to the day after the Supreme Court of Canada handed down a landmark ruling on Tsilhqot’in aboriginal title, another BC First Nation is pressing the decision into action.

The Gitwangak and Gitsegukla have ordered all sport fishermen off the Skeena River and also say CN Rail and any Crown authorized forestry operations must pack up by August 4th.

More here

So who knows if they will re open it or what but if anyone is planning going there I would make alternate plans...