Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siwash Hooks Question  (Read 2742 times)

fishtruck

Siwash Hooks Question
« on: October 10, 2013, 08:32:41 PM »

recently bought some Eagle Claw siwash hooks, I noticed that I seem to be able to bend them quite easily. That doesn't seem right. Does anyone have an opinion about which company make a quality hook at a reasonable price? Thank-you in advance

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Siwash Hooks Question
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 08:46:03 PM »

gammies

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 09:12:34 PM »

you can bend the hook itself or the hook eye with pliers to close it ?

I only use gammies and the eye is easy to close up, im using pliers obviously so who really knows how much force is actually applied

I may switch to Owner or Matzuo hooks as well
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rachid

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 09:24:27 PM »

i tried  several hook brands for instance Gamagatsu , but the prob is they bend easily when hooking a large fish wish suck for sure , and since i switched to Owner hooks , there was a huge difference , they are pretty solid when it comes to holing those chinooks ,

fishtruck

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 09:36:46 PM »

I can actually bend the hooks itself with my fingers, enough that it's no longer the same shape. I like to use my vice to close the eyes , that way I don't have to get sore fingers from closing all the eyes with pliers

zap brannigan

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 11:42:48 PM »

eagle claw is cheap garbage get some matzuo sickle siwash or those dne siwash hooks.

penguinabc123

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 08:31:42 AM »

I use the matuzko sickle siwash hooks as well and they have been pretty good for me. I use the 1/0 to replace the hooks on my spoons and crocs etc. they have worked great so far for pinks and coho this season.

I also bought a bunch of the sickle hooks in size 1 for float fishing and they have been good too. Not sure if its in my head or not but the sickle is my choice for hook now.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 05:46:19 PM »

I've never had luck with Eagle Claw hooks, IMO they are garbage. I used to buy them when I was a student and low on $ but never again.

Gammagatsu siwash are very good and my favorite. I've tried Mustad Ultrapoint siwash and also liked them a lot. This year for kicks I bought some Matzuo sickle siwash hooks from www.firstbitejigs.com (local fly shops don't seem to carry them) and so far I like them. It seems if you get a hook hook set with them you rarely loose a fish, BUT if you don't get a good hook set they will bend easier.

Never tried DNE or Owner siwash hooks. Both are solid brands so I would think they would be good. Just stay away from Eagle Claw and the stock hooks that your spoons etc come with. They are also no good.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »

Nothing wrong with Eagle Claw hooks. If dead fish can talk, they will tell you so.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 09:10:16 PM »

dead fish can talk, just ask the ones I stepped on today while landing fish or walking without paying attention. BLECK !!  :-X

I would bet you got a pack or two from a crappy batch of hooks, they almost sound like they haven't been heat treated to harden the steel
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fishtruck

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »

Used them today at the Vedder. Every time that I cleared the hooks(colorado blades) from a snag it came back a little straightened out. Had to use pliers to bend them back. Even the Vision hooks from A&N were better at holding it's shape. Don't know whether it was a bad batch or not, it's just frustrating and time consuming. Lesson learned, you really do get what you pay for!!! Owners hooks here I come