Author Topic: Skagit  (Read 7039 times)

Danny Coombs

Skagit
« on: July 13, 2013, 12:45:58 PM »

Anyone know water level? Thanks!

Chehalis_Steel

Re: Skagit
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 01:59:20 PM »

I was just at MY flyshop said river is still high and a bit colored but fishable in places, probably lower down. Will be going myself in a couple weeks.

Dusty Mac

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »

Heading out tomorrow. Haven't fished the river in a few years but will post when I get back.

Dusty Mac

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 08:16:12 AM »

Went up yesterday, and the road was 2 foot washboard, RCMP had roadblocks and CO's everywhere.  Bears roamed free and fought with the mosquitoes, fish were few and far between.  Hope that satisfies those that don't want rivers discusseed on the web.

Road was in great shape, water was pretty clear, and not that high, but strong flowing.  I found it difficult to wade in some areas around Rhododendron.  Caught 1 rainbow and others caught some bulls but rather slow.
Mosquitoes were noticeably absent.  A great day on a great river.

Dusty Mac

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 07:40:50 AM »

Wow! 175 views in 24 hours!  Must be a lot of people making plans for the weekend.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »

mosquitos were absent ?? are you sure you were on the right river LOL

I always get eaten alive on that river !
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Dusty Mac

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »

I was all ready for them too.  2 cans of OFF, long sleeve shirt, ready to put waders on in the truck, but no mozzies!  Was even able to enjoy a pop in the parking lot!  I don't know what happened but I'll enjoy it.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »

mosquitos were absent ?? are you sure you were on the right river LOL

I always get eaten alive on that river !
Nice try... ::)

HKSR

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 09:04:11 AM »

Anybody been up there lately?  Water levels ok?  Mosquitos back yet?

I'm thinking about heading up there this weekend, any new updates would be great!  Thanks in advance!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 12:02:51 PM »

I would bet by now the mosquitos are in full effect. I know anytime I went in the beginning of August they were relentless to say the least. somewhere my dad has a pic of them piled on my jacket sleeve about 4/5 thick and you cant see my jacket through them, I had also just finished spraying myself !!
Check out our new blog

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 04:26:39 PM »

I would bet by now the mosquitos are in full effect. I know anytime I went in the beginning of August they were relentless to say the least. somewhere my dad has a pic of them piled on my jacket sleeve about 4/5 thick and you cant see my jacket through them, I had also just finished spraying myself !!

I think they've become immune to OFF or any other repellant lol...nothing seems to keep them off me anymore

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 10:16:32 PM »

Was up there today from Sumallo grove to about 9km downstream.  Water is nice but could probably be a bit lower for ideal conditions.

Bugs were negligible.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 01:04:08 AM »

the day my dad took the pic I was using the still very high deet Muskol. got it in the USA but now I don't think even they sell it anymore. I think mosquitos everywhere are building immunites to OFF and other sprays. they have been relentless my last two trips into the interior, one lake they even followed me across the water from the campground !
Check out our new blog

ByteMe

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 07:32:13 AM »

anyone try those electronic mosquito repellents that you clip on your belt?........Gimmick?
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

HKSR

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 08:52:59 AM »

anyone try those electronic mosquito repellents that you clip on your belt?........Gimmick?

My wife and I have used them.  We were at Kanaka, and there were a ton of mosquitoes around, so we clipped those on and turned em on.  They don't work as well as the commercial shows (ie. a bubble around you), but they do work.  The problem is they don't cover a large enough area, so you still need to spray deterrent on yourself as well.  I had it clipped on my belt, but the stupid bugs would bite the other side of my body lol