Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: silicon instead of aquaseal  (Read 1707 times)

kosanin kosher salt

silicon instead of aquaseal
« on: September 18, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »

ive bought before aquaseal in the small tube they come in . the complaints i got is , that after using it for only a couple patches you got so much left over . this left over aquaseal will harden after time and at about 7-9 $ its a pricy thing .
so has anyone tried anything else . i just finished putting clear silicone where i got small leaks , it think its gonna help big time for practically a fraction to what aquaseal costs . i havent used the waders yet but will update soon as soon as im out there .

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Re: silicon instead of aquaseal
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »

I used glue gun glue years ago for an old pair of neos.  I smeared the melted glue into and around the cracks.  It was a high quiality glue though designed for extreme temps and I don't know if craft glue would work.

As for keeping your aquaseal longer -> clean lid and threads well and stick in freezer after each use.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »

--That's a maybe... but how much are your waders worth?
-- Silicone isn't pure and different manufacturers may have additives that could dissolve or weaken neoprene.. But ... you might get lucky.
-- Kinda like the storage option to save money.. or other glues that have been tested for use on neoprene.

4ptbuck

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 06:23:34 PM »

Silicon is the bomb.
Thin it out with methyl hydrate, and paint it on.

I did a leaky seam last year, and it's holding up really well.

I am going to do all the seams on my future new waders as a preventative measure.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 07:24:41 PM »

All you have to do is put the aquaseal in the freezer until you need it again. Outside the freezer, it will go back to it's liquid form within half an hour.

I've had mine for over 3 years and still works.