Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Size Range of Jack Springs?  (Read 4173 times)

Banny

Size Range of Jack Springs?
« on: September 15, 2009, 06:21:55 PM »

On the weekend I landed 2 Jack springs in two different areas and they were both around 14 inches in length, yet I see a few picture of jack springs posted on here and they appear much larger.  What is the approximate size range for these fish?

J

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Size Range of Jack Springs?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:31:02 PM »

currently they are any spring under 62cm. Make sure that if you are going to retain, have a measuring tape in your vest. I caught a jack the other day that was 60 cm and a buddy bonked one that was 61.5 cm.

koko

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 06:49:59 PM »

On the weekend I landed 2 Jack springs in two different areas and they were both around 14 inches in length, yet I see a few picture of jack springs posted on here and they appear much larger.  What is the approximate size range for these fish?

J

You sure it was not a coho jack, most jack spring is at lease 20", that's a really a small  for jack spring

Banny

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 07:09:12 PM »

I am not worried abut the retention/regulation sizing.  I was just curious because until Sunday I had never hooked a Jack spring.  Greenish tinged back with large characteristic spots.  This is one of them from Sunday.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 07:31:05 PM »

mmmm coho

Banny

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 07:33:33 PM »

Now I see that it is indeed a coho, only a few spots on the tail.  ZStill uncertain about the one I hooked in the Fraser but no pic so I will be left to wonder.

J
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:47:50 PM by Banny »

koko

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 07:47:18 PM »

No spot on the tail, it is a coho jack, some them they do have a lot of spots on the back and a green back like a jack spring, don't forget it has to be a hatchery too, nice little fish on BBQ.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 07:56:28 PM »

i killed one on saturday that measured out at 59 cm's, and weighed approx 5 or 6lbs.
Fish killer 101

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 08:51:47 PM »

I am not worried abut the retention/regulation sizing.  I was just curious because until Sunday I had never hooked a Jack spring.  Greenish tinged back with large characteristic spots.  This is one of them from Sunday.

whew!!! good thing that coho was not on the bbq for the pic!!!!

Banny

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 09:01:46 PM »

Well it was a hatchery and it would have been legal to retain since it was on the Vedder

That said I rarely keep anything, in two years of salmon fishing I retained one adult coho and 3 pinks, and there was no uncertainty as to what they were :)

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 08:58:46 AM »

yup was going to sat\y it was a hatchery :) Nice little fish.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 04:35:25 PM »

Jack springs on the Thompson are rarely over 50 cm.  and you almost never see them get to the 3 lb. range ....a couple of pounds is the norm where as jacks from the Vedder and Harrison whites can be up to 6 lbs.  Even those that are oversized are still considered jacks (precotious males).  However, if they are over the legal size limit, jacks or not, you have to mark it off on your licence as an adult spring.

BTW, those jacks from the Thompson reds are some of the finest eating salmon I know of unlike the jacks from the Harrison and Vedder which I don't care for at all.