Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sage 4120 CP custom built rod (Surrey)  (Read 2164 times)

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Sage 4120 CP custom built rod (Surrey)
« on: July 14, 2014, 01:15:32 PM »

The rod has been sold!

Just collecting dust for the last decade since I only use fly an spey rods and never have a chance to get out into the salt anymore…..had hoped to, that's why I've held onto it.  Great down rigger, bar rig, or larger river salmon/steelhead rod that did not get used a whole lot so it's still in good shape.

Built in factory colours by Brian Babcock.  The top 1 1/2 inches of the rod got cleaning broken off in a borrowed rod case the 3rd time I had it out but Brian said not to bother with it and put a new tip top on it even though the top half of the rod could be replaced by Sage for $50.  It does not change the action of the rod at all.

$325….PRICE DROP!  $300 (sorry, this has to be a firm, no dickoring price)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:47:44 PM by mastercaster »

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Sage 4120 CP custom built rod (Surrey)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:41:35 PM »

That's a great price Brent. I'm presently building the same blank in green for a customer of Fred's.  These are serious, very well made heavy duty sticks well suited for bar fishing or bouncing betties on the Fraser ::).  The blank alone is just under your asking price.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 04:57:19 PM »

That's a great price Brent. I'm presently building the same blank in green for a customer of Fred's.  These are serious, very well made heavy duty sticks well suited for bar fishing or bouncing betties on the Fraser ::)The blank alone is just under your asking price.

A buddy of mine who owns the same rod said I could get way, way more for the rod if the top inch and half was in tact so together we came up with a price that we thought was in favour for the buyer so if the buyer chose to go the warranty route for a new top section he'd still be further ahead in the game.

I just know that I'm likely not ever going to use it again so why not sell it to someone who will.

spoiler

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:35:26 AM »

I have a 4120 Sage brown blank still in the clear plastic bag. Just wondered what the value of it is?

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 12:17:01 PM »

I have a 4120 Sage brown blank still in the clear plastic bag. Just wondered what the value of it is?

Someone is advertising the brown blank 3113 for $320 so something in that area I would expect.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 01:56:28 PM »

New blanks are around $400. Some people think the older brown blanks are preferable so that should translate to more $$. I have seen them sell for much less, though.

spoiler

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 09:06:16 AM »

Typhoon,
 it seems weird that the new blanks are $400. I bought a brand new SA 4110 which is a Sage factory built rod 11' 4 power that I use for saltwater power mooching and downrigger fishing and paid $450.00.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 09:15:17 AM »

The new (Green )Sage blank is around $250-295 max..

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:27:58 AM »

My mistake. Berry's lists a few blanks for under $300.
My information was from Sea-Run when the blanks first came out (again).

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 11:40:34 AM »

Price drop!  $300

This is as low as I'll go because there could still be a few salt water salmon trips in my future~

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 03:28:21 PM »

Sage will replace the top half of the rod for approx. $50 then you have to get it built up, which can be another $100.  For mooching being a couple inches off the tip won't matter, but it will be a different for CP fishing.  Great blanks though.  Would also be good for Bar Fishing with the shorter top half.  Put on a Daiwa mooching reel and away you go. 

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 07:19:19 PM »

Sage will replace the top half of the rod for approx. $50 then you have to get it built up, which can be another $100.  For mooching being a couple inches off the tip won't matter, but it will be a different for CP fishing.  Great blanks though.  Would also be good for Bar Fishing with the shorter top half.  Put on a Daiwa mooching reel and away you go.

All I ever used the rod for, except one salt water trip every couple of years, was casting a float on the Thompson and even with an inch and haf missing at the tip it was still easy to cast half way across the river.  That extra inch plus didn't provide any additional leverage as far as I was concerned.

I have given some thought to going the warranty route ($50) but it won't cost me a thing to rebuild the top half except for the cost of a new tip top and nine guides. Then I would sell the rod as one that comes with an extra tip.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 05:47:04 PM »

SOLD!

jeetS

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 07:58:15 AM »

Thanks again, good meeting you.