Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breaking in a new bushing reel  (Read 6782 times)

Tommybuckles

Breaking in a new bushing reel
« on: December 29, 2013, 07:46:20 AM »

Guys,

I was lucky enough to get a new Milner Kingfisher bushing reel for Xmas. Haven't fished it yet but have been sitting around the house and spinning it. I noticed that when I listen closely to it it makes a bit more noise then some of my other reels. I also notice that it doesn't spin quite a long or smoothly as some of my other more worked in reels. I understand that bushing reels have a break in period but was wondering if anyone else out there noticed that their reel, specifically Milners, spin much better over time. Or have any tips or tricks for breaking in a new reel. I never paid too much attention to it before most likely because I've never spent this sort of money on a reel so I may be over analyzing it.

Thanks!

NiceFish

• Old Timer
Re: Breaking in a new bushing reel
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 08:21:58 AM »

Hmmm I never looked at it that long at home. I fish mine really hard, spins forever. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 08:47:39 AM »

Some old timers used to tape some small pieces of card board to the handles the use a blowdryer set on no heat to spin it a few hours one way then back the other.I have done this only not with a Milner.
Riverman

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »

I took both of my Milner to my work bench and used my compressor with the blow gun attachment and made those reels spin like crazy. Make sure to have a good grip on the reel or it will go flying. Both reels spin great.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Tommybuckles

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 09:41:26 AM »

Thank you for the replies. Like I said in the previous post I'm most likely over thinking it because its the fanciest piece of fishing gear I own. I was a little worried about the slight noise you can hear if you put your ear to it while its spinning but it seems to have settled down a bit from me spinning it while watching TV.

I'm going to take the cardboard and fan suggestion and see what kind of difference it makes.

Appreciate the help everyone

Magz

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 08:04:32 PM »

I have two new milner reels. Both bushing.i got them before the summer so i have used them both lots and they have broken in well already.and they were slow to spin rite out of the box.i think this becouse of there  tight tolorances john makes these reels with.i kept spinning it on the couch also and could notice a difference after a couple hours also.

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 10:38:22 PM »

Guys,

I was lucky enough to get a new Milner Kingfisher bushing reel for Xmas. Haven't fished it yet but have been sitting around the house and spinning it. I noticed that when I listen closely to it it makes a bit more noise then some of my other reels. I also notice that it doesn't spin quite a long or smoothly as some of my other more worked in reels. I understand that bushing reels have a break in period but was wondering if anyone else out there noticed that their reel, specifically Milners, spin much better over time. Or have any tips or tricks for breaking in a new reel. I never paid too much attention to it before most likely because I've never spent this sort of money on a reel so I may be over analyzing it.

Thanks!

My new custom KingFisher should be here tomorrow and it is bushing as well.  Ill have to have a look to see if mine does the same.  Very interesting.
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

Tommybuckles

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 11:00:30 PM »

That would be great. It doesn't feel as though it is binding but it is definitely making a slight metal on metal rubbing noise. I've never stuck my ear to any other Milner so I have nothing to compare it to. It for sure doesn't spin as long as some of my other reels but it may in time.

Let me know what you find Steel_Mo_Head it will give me a good baseline to compare.

Thanks!

Magz

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 11:09:43 PM »

Time your reel. Spin it as fast as you can by hand and time it till it stops.i was playing around timing mine when they were new and they didnt spin for much more than 40 sec.after  a bit of compressor air and hand spinning it went up to about a minute.now my reels are broken in from fishing them often they spin for about 1:45 or so.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 11:49:04 PM »

That would be great. It doesn't feel as though it is binding but it is definitely making a slight metal on metal rubbing noise.

Thanks!

I think you better sent it back for repair.  There should not be any binding or metal to metal rubbing noise.

Magz

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 11:57:20 PM »

May not have to go back. May be just the fine tuning allen screw is to tight. Back it off  at small incremants at a time and spin itafter each adjustment.a bushing reel shld have a tiny bit of slop but not so much where it clunks when reeling.its a fine line between to loose and to tight.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:41:10 AM by Magz »

fins -n- skins

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 07:06:07 AM »

Take it back to where it was bought and see what they say? Compare it to a new reel or have them adjust it or get a new one..

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 09:23:01 AM »

May not have to go back. May be just the fine tuning allen screw is to tight. Back it off  at small incremants at a time and spin itafter each adjustment.a bushing reel shld have a tiny bit of slop but not so much where it clunks when reeling.its a fine line between to loose and to tight.

Slop?.... I don't think it should have any play at all.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 10:45:59 AM »

Bushing reels are like a fine wine, they get better in time.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 01:55:06 PM »

That would be great. It doesn't feel as though it is binding but it is definitely making a slight metal on metal rubbing noise. I've never stuck my ear to any other Milner so I have nothing to compare it to. It for sure doesn't spin as long as some of my other reels but it may in time.

Let me know what you find Steel_Mo_Head it will give me a good baseline to compare.

Thanks!

Hey! I just got mine! It does the same as what you are explaining.. Doesn't spin for anywhere nearly as close as my kingpin zepellin.  It's nice though.  There is a slight sound when it spins.  You really have to put your ear to the reel to hear it though.  I can tell that it's the bushing sound though.  I'm going to take mine out tomorrow so I'll see if it effects anything.  I think within time it will break in and get better as per everyone who owns one. 

Did you customize yours? or just picked one?

I can't wait to fish ALL the time!