Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wild lake  (Read 1451 times)

frozensalmon

wild lake
« on: October 01, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »

hi

Is there any lakes around lower mainland or a bit east (not after Hope) which are completely wild without people stocking it?
sometimes I just don't feel like fishing in stocked fish lakes...as you know, not very real sport fishing  (specially fly fishing)
bascily I think people mostly want to get wild fish rather than stocked fish 
well maybe it's just me.. but don't judge me , I do know some people has the same thougt..

anyway..thx for any info

more coho, more coho... ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: wild lake
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:51:48 PM »

When you go through the water-specific regulations in the Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis, look for the fish symbol beside the lake name. The ones with the fish symbols are stocked lakes, so the ones without are not stocked and have wild populations of trout.

Keep in mind that not all stocked lakes provide similar fisheries to Green Timbers, Lafarge, Como and other urban lakes, where success is usually immediate. Many lakes stocked by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC are planted with fish at yearling sizes (10 to 50g) and these fish are expected to be targeted after spending one or two years in those lakes. Because these fish have been feeding on whatever food is naturally available in the lake, they are semi-wild and do not fight like those stocked catchable rainbow trout you encounter in urban lakes.

frozensalmon

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 11:00:47 PM »

It's kinda of weird that the stocked fish that I got recently fight really hard ... maybe they were just stocked and still being active and aggressive
more coho, more coho... ::)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:41:52 AM »

If you are into hiking there are plenty of options.   I stick to the Squamish side but there are others on the Valley side of things.

Some lakes were stocked in the 70's, 80's or 90's and have kept producing trout.