Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Commercial Chinook fishery - shocking!  (Read 3083 times)

Morty

Commercial Chinook fishery - shocking!
« on: June 29, 2009, 04:00:49 PM »

I heard a "story" on the river this weekend that there are actually too many Chinook this year and the agency that regulates such things is concerned that too many Chinook may return to the spawning grounds.  Too many spawners means: redds getting dug up, too many eggs for the habitat, fungus and disease getting to the eggs, and ultimately way fewer fry than if the return was controlled.

According to this "informed source", whose buddy runs a commercial boat, 50 or so trollers have been sent out into the chuck to catch as many chinook as they can and if they can't do the job then seiners will be sent to scoop up as many as they are able.  If those 2 task forces can't harvest enough "they" will send out a ship capable of electrocuting the remainder.

Anyone have some facts that can support or deflate this great river story?
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Commercial Chinook fishery - shocking!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 05:15:34 PM »

Morty-it's disappointing to see someone with your good name posting such nonsense. ::)

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 05:31:50 PM »

None-sense indeed.If it were true all  they would have too do is re-open the top of the scale and that would take care of it in short order! ;)
Riverman

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 06:32:23 PM »

Morty-it's disappointing to see someone with your good name posting such nonsense. ::)
Don't come down too hard on him as he was just relating a fish tail (tale) someone told him.

I know there is lots of fish in the system right now as the bar fishers are catching a few according to The Master even though the water is still colored with visibility around 6 to 10 inches, depending where you are fishing. It was most likely coming from someone who dreamed about fishing the night before. ;D ;D

Morty

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 07:30:16 PM »

Thank you for the compliment Sam Salmon.

I have seen about 40 Springs taken by recreational anglers on the Fraser so far this year.  The smallest was 18 pounds, many over 30.  I'm beginning to suspect that the Albion test results may be low because the fish are so large this year that they can't get far enough into the net to get gilled.  The First Nations catch reports for last week and this should give us a better picture.  They have openings troughout the system and for several tpes of gear.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 07:32:47 PM by Morty »
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

lude98r

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 04:24:34 PM »

That is pretty amazing, 40 fish you have seen caught. Im going out fri, I hope ill get at least one.