Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best early Spirng Lakes in Southern BC ?  (Read 8736 times)

James

Best early Spirng Lakes in Southern BC ?
« on: January 20, 2006, 06:18:57 PM »

I know , I know , it's not spring yet . :D But I need to get some vaction time booked with in a week , if I wanna have some time off this year , I was hoping to do some Fly Fishing this year ( have not been out with the fly for 3 yrs!!!) . So i was wondering what are the best lakes to hit in the early spring ? Preferably with in 4 hours of Vancouver would be nice . Anyone have any nice favorites ?
I have a float tube , but don't have neoprene waders anymore( went with breathables this year :P ) so I will probably be using a 12' alluminum boat with electric motor . So hike in lakes need not apply . i have a 4wd truck though . So the rough stuff is ok .
BTW- my target species is trout .

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: Best early Spirng Lakes in Southern BC ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 11:38:15 PM »

in merrit area theres, dougles lake, slamon lake (fly only),peter hope lake, lac le juane theres 100s up there, it best to talk to a local

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 09:39:52 AM »

Give a time line by month; Feb., March, April, etc. and we should be able to help you out.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

James

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 11:25:05 AM »

Thanks , I know of lots of lakes , there are literally hundreds , most of my fly fishing is done in the early summer months up near 100mile , I will check out those lakes you mentioned .
I will be taking time off in March , and May . I prefer smaller lakes if that helps . Thanks .

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 02:41:09 PM »

Lakes will still be frozen in March except lower mainland lakes, May is a better bet, lakes below 3000 feet should be ice free and turned over, all depends on the weather but last week of April first week of May should be ok.
There are a bunch of lakes in the Pike mountian area out of Princeton, other lakes along 5a towards Merrit.......Bluey,hook, I never did well at Kentucky/Allenne.These are within 4 hours as are Hathume,Island, Resivior and Pennask on the connector from Merritt to Kelowna, Tunkwa and Leighton are within 4 hours as with the lakes in the Chataway chain of lakes southwest of Logan lake, Dot, Chataway, Billy and Tupper.
Good luck
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 09:39:36 PM »

March is an awsome time to check out the lakes of the Sunshine Coast. Seashelt, has some great beach fisheries, Garden Bay and Mederia Park have some reasonable still waters. The Park Motel has good prises on house keeping units with all fisheries with in an 45 min drive.

James

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 09:59:04 PM »

hmmm.... would there happen to be any small streams that would yeild a better chance for me in March / April ?

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 12:26:40 PM »

Chapmen Creek & the outlet from Sakinaw lake.

James

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 01:09:22 PM »

thanks , i have always wanted to have a year of fishing lakes/rivers i have never tried before , I think this will be the season , I always got caught in such a rutt of going to the same lakes at the same time of year , it will be nice to find some new spots .
Thanks for the suggestions .

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 01:24:10 PM »

If you want to see lake like they were back in the 60's complete with rustic Boyscout camps, make the trip to Powell River. September is a good month.

Fishingbum

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 09:22:42 PM »

Jones lake between Chilliwack and Hope can produce many large Rainbow and Cutthroat in May. Lake is very low at this time of year with many shoals and defined channels  visable at the north end of the lake.
Tight Lines.

Ian S

Derek Mcl

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 09:02:05 AM »

Cowichan in March on VI?  Is March too early?

sliverbullet

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 09:04:42 PM »

hmm is cowichan the lake on the gravel road to bamfield? if it is hows the fishing how big are the fish ect..