Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What do you think of a Lund SSV-14?  (Read 21358 times)

canuckjgc

What do you think of a Lund SSV-14?
« on: December 20, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »

Ok after posting here I'm not getting an inflatable to replace my canoe.

I'm looking at getting a new Lund SSV-14.  Any thoughts on how it would do for a family of 4 (2 adults 2 little kids) for our local waters, including Indian Arm and other protected inlets?  My other option would be the SSV-16 but that is tougher for us to store and move around at our place.  Both boats would be powered correctly.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Brian

Re: What do you think of a Lund SSV-14?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 03:25:05 PM »

go bigger.  the 2' of extra length is a LOT of realestate when you're on the water, esp with 2 (growing!) kids, crab pots, coolers, etc.

if you can store the ssv14 you should be able to store the ssv16 if your trailer has a folding tongue setup.

I was looking for a used ssv16 (tiller model) all summer, but then I spent my money on another car instead.  lol.

I'm stuck taking my family out on a 12.5' fg boat of unknown vintage with a 9.9hp motor.  It floats, works fine on the inlet as long as its not too windy.  If you're setting crab pots, point your bow into the incoming waves or wake from other boats.  You'll be fine.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:27:27 PM by Brian »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 04:32:30 PM »

Lunds are nice but I prefer the Princecrafts myself.  Wide and stable with a deep draft.  The Yukon 14 footer with the 20 inch transom is really nice.

fyrslyer

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 04:42:42 PM »

I had the SSv 14 with a 25hp 4 stroke on it. Nice deep boat and stable, for the salt i would look at the 16 but the 14 would work well to. Had 4 adults in it and got it on step without to much issue.

chum dad

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 04:51:13 PM »

Have you looked at Smokercraft Alaskan? I have the 15' and it fits in the garage fine, has walk through bench seats and a deep hull, nice stable boat. Some guy is selling one in the buy sell section you may want to look at it before getting the Lund.

canuckjgc

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »

The SmokerCraft Alaskan is a bit longer, but narrower beam, narrower transom and shorter depth (by quite a bit) than the SSV.

I'm really just wondering if the 14' is the right boat for a family or it we're going to get frustrated in short order.  From the posts above it seems it will work ok.

Any other thoughts?

likely

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 09:06:31 PM »

my uncle has one it is 3or4 years old he is a pretty big boy ,seen some good salt water abuse it is starting to leak  :)

Dogbreath

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 07:15:08 PM »

I'm really just wondering if the 14' is the right boat for a family or it we're going to get frustrated in short order.  From the posts above it seems it will work ok.
Depends on how much gear you're hauling around/how big your kids are, the boat is big enough, a friend of mine runs an older one that's been all over and is still in fine shape.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 07:27:12 PM »

you need a 16'
mine is 16' but now i wish i had 18'
 :-\

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 07:43:02 PM »

Really depends on what you are planning to do when you are out on the chuck.  If you are planning on just cruising around you'll be okay.  What I've learned with my kids is they need more space than adults!!  Try restrict them in a boat a couple times they won't be going out with you after that.  If you also plan on crabbing/fishing you'll soon reallize 14' or even a 16' is really small. 

canuckjgc

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 06:29:56 AM »

Ok thanks.  I'll go for the 16' as I plan to crab / fish with it and the kids.  Seems cheaper than buying a 14' and selling it in a year because it is too small.

I'm assuming the 16' would be fine on Indian Arm and also around Keats, Gambier, etc., launching from Gibsons (not going across Howe Sound from the mainland)?  I don't plan to head out in windy weather but as we know the weather can and does change around here.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 09:51:53 AM »

--folding tongue good option for storage... also saw a picture of a hole cut out of back of the garage so motor would fit.. on other side of the wall guy built a cabinate to hide the motor.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 03:13:32 PM »

Haha, good idea!

Robbie

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 08:30:38 AM »

If you have an option of choosing a 16' over a 14' take it.  That extra 2' will make a huge difference on the water.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 09:48:57 AM »

I had a 16 ft Lund big Lakes and a 25 hp
Added some rails to the rear half and a nice bow rail.You have no idea how much these rails added to the boat.
I also installed a wood floor which made a huge difference to your footing .
Oh,i cut the center seat out too which opened it up somewhat.
I used that boat everywhere and crossed the Strait in it many times but i also got stuck on Galiano Island for a couple nights when the wind came up one time.
These boats are very versatile but you still have to watch the weather etc as they arent yachts.
Heck i allmost got stuck up at the end of Pitt Lake one time it got so nasty.
You gotta know when enough is enough and dont take chances.
Out of all the boats ive owned ,this is the one i wish i still had.