Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WHAT EXACTLY IS TIDAL WATER?  (Read 3629 times)

KLX

WHAT EXACTLY IS TIDAL WATER?
« on: October 30, 2009, 11:36:01 AM »

I am looking for the official rule stating exactly what constitutes tidal water. Not interested in speculation, got that from every tackle shop i've been to, and no obvious info on the dfo or pac websites, nor the regs.

This is important when fishing small coastal streams where non-tidal regs say 0 retention but tidal is 4 salmon. On some small streams the tide goes several kilometers upstream.

Anyone have a link for the general rule???

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
Re: WHAT EXACTLY IS TIDAL WATER?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 12:21:33 PM »

Tidal boundaries are clearly defined in the freshwater regs:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/0911/fish-synopsis_2009-11_region2.pdf

KLX

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 12:29:58 PM »

perhaps i'm not making myself clear or i am simply missing something so obvious to everyone but me. I am looking for the GENERAL REGULATIONS on what defines tidal water for rivers or bodies of water not specified in the tables. IE, yes everyone knows where the tidal boundary is on the Fraser because it is noted. Where then, is the tidal boundary on, for example, Chapman Creek or Toba river, etc???

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 12:48:05 PM »

If it isn't mentioned in the regs, it isn't tidal.  If it emties into a tidal area and has a tidal section then it will be mentioned, otherwise the mouth will be the boundary, i believe.  If you are wondering about rivers that are not regulated as tidal but still have a tidal influence such as the vedder canal or stave, i am not sure.

Chuck23

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 12:50:50 PM »

FOR EXAMPLE:

TIDAL BOUNDARIES ON RIVERS
IN REGION 2
Note: Provincial freshwater regulations apply
above these boundaries and Federal tidal
regulations apply below these boundaries:
Brunette R.: Burlington Northern
Railway Bridge
Campbell R.: Burlington Northern
Railway Bridge
Capilano R.: CN Railway Bridge
Coquitlam R.: Mary Hill Bypass Bridge
Fraser R.: CPR Bridge at Mission
Kanaka Cr.: CPR Bridge
Nathan Cr.: CN Railway Bridge
Nicomekl R.: Burlington Northern
Railway Bridge
Pitt R.: CPR Bridge
Serpentine R.: Burlington Northern
Railway Bridge
Seymour R.: CN Railway Bridge
Squamish R.: a line running true west from
the tip of the Squamish Dyke
(“Windsurfer Spit”)
Stave R.: CPR Bridge
West Cr.: CN Railway Bridge
Whonnock Cr.: CP rail line
York Cr.: CP rail line

As you can see there is no "general rule" like "1 km from shoreline" or something like that.  Every stream, creek or river will have a different Tidal Boundary.  Chapman Creek on the Sunshine Coast, for instance, is the highway bridge which is only a couple of hundred meters from the shore.  Just because the tide effects the flows of the river beyond that does not mean that you can fish on the other side of the bridge using tidal retention rules and licenses.

Hope that helps.

KLX

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »

"Just because the tide effects the flows of the river beyond that does not mean that you can fish on the other side of the bridge using tidal retention rules and licenses."

that could be argued. what is the provinces definition of tidal? this is a grey area and has great bearing on remote rivers where there are no boundaries/rules - this is typically where i fish.

i wonder if an email to DFO would clear it up...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 01:51:29 PM »

Most rivers have a specific tidal boundary as Chuck23 has pointed out. If you are interested in fishing a specific system that does not seem to have a tidal boundary defined, you can phone the DFO office in the area to enquire. The numbers are listed on this page:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/locations-bureaux-eng.htm

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 08:48:34 PM »

the dfo office in langley will have a fisheries rep on the line to answer your questions. talked to a couple older gents fishing the freshwater portion of the serpentine river with tidal licenses....they mistook the tidal boundary of that river. the tackle shop i talked to did not know either and they had the regs in front of them. not good!