Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Fish Is This?  (Read 18025 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: What Fish Is This?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 06:05:38 PM »

Water clarity is not so much an issue in September, August, or even July sometimes after freshet ends. In fact, we have done fishing with artificial lures in June for bull trout at North Arm with good success. Bait fishing has a tendency to hook up smaller fish and you'll find that just about all the fish you connect with on big lures and flies are big.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 08:50:39 PM »

Rod, in Steveston do you get any of those NPM's in the brackish/saltwater?  Just curious

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 09:12:07 PM »

Rod, in Steveston do you get any of those NPM's in the brackish/saltwater?  Just curious

Why? You need more fish to tag? ;D

There are many, especially between July and September. If the water isn't so plugged with peamouth chub, you would be getting them on every cast.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2008, 01:43:39 PM »

This has been a great thread.  I will definetly have a go at targeting them with a lure or a fly in the summer months. Its a very nice alternative to trout because the Fraser North Arm is so close to home.

Last year I was fishing for chubs and I sometimes noticed larger fish slamming my float from time to time.  It always happened just as the sun was going down so I guess they are more bold at that time of day.  It must be these Pike Minnows if they get so big .  Next time that happens I might even try to put a dry fly out - just to see what happens.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 01:56:45 PM by fishseeker »

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 10:39:23 PM »

Why? You need more fish to tag? ;D

Would be interesting if you did get one of my tagged ones down there. 

Zpg

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 03:32:08 PM »

You know it is early in the fishing season and everyone is "chomping at the bit" to get out there when a pikeminnow generates 3 pages of discussion ;D ;D ;D

I just wanted to to add that Northern Pikeminnow makes for a GREAT sturgeon bait in the Lower Fraser. My thought is that since many of the traditional sturgeon food such as Euchelon and salmon are in great decline they are forced to find alternative food. Perhaps they always feasted on these rather offensive smelling fish....who knows, but last year I did extremely well using them. I would fish for them in the early morning using worms, quickly kill them and use them fresh as bait. They worked like a charm when nothing else seemed to.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 08:48:55 PM »

Last year I was fishing for chubs and I sometimes noticed larger fish slamming my float from time to time.  It always happened just as the sun was going down so I guess they are more bold at that time of day.  It must be these Pike Minnows if they get so big .  Next time that happens I might even try to put a dry fly out - just to see what happens.

Some of these larger fish slamming on the surface are definitely northern pikeminnow, but depending on the time of the year, they are very likely to be large bull trout. Heading down to North, Middle and South Arms in June, you'll often see these large boils on the surface during an outgoing tide. They're feeding on outmigrating salmon smolts, eulachons and whatever small minnows they can find.

Usually the water clarity isn't great in June because of freshet, but somehow we have had outings when we would connect with a dozen bull trout on lures. The water visibility would only be around 6 inches, but the vibration on the spinner has done the trick so far.

Griffin

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2008, 08:19:33 AM »

In Germany we called this fish "Barbe". In English "Barbel or Barb". In Latinum "Baurbus Barbus".

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2008, 08:48:03 AM »

Rod, you might be on to something here.  Perhaps a group could be formed to look into enhancing PM's thoughout the lower mainland, especially Cultus Lake.  Gold Hammered Croc would make a good champion for this ....

Good idea Dave,

I'd need someone to spearhead the project so I could use your guidance.   ;)

captainzippy

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2008, 08:04:37 PM »

Northern Pike are rare in BC , but can be caught in most lakes in Canada. Growing up in the prairies I have caught my share of northern pike or Jacks as they are also called. Most are around 2 to 3 pounds although it is not uncommon to catch a monster 20 pounder. Whether they are 2 or 20 pounds they put up a pretty good fight. They also taste great fried in butter - especially if deboned.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2008, 08:41:48 PM »

Pike definitely aren't bad table fair. If you have someone who knows the native method of deboning them all the better. Pike minnow previously known as the Sqawfish isn't quite as good. Germans probably would eat any fish drenched in sour cream and say it was wunderbar.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?