Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Frozen golf balls ?????  (Read 8488 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
Frozen golf balls ?????
« on: June 07, 2007, 03:05:56 PM »

To all you golfers ,I need your opinion .Would a frozen solid golf ball go further than a regular ball ? I have a co worker that uses only frozen golf balls, he claims he gets an extra 25 yards per drive off the tee. What is your opinion ? I have seen his drives with the frozen balls and they are averaging around the 275 yard mark.

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: Frozen golf balls ?????
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 03:54:03 PM »

hey try it and see! I will now that that i can stretch my drive to 255!
Fish killer 101

chromer101

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 04:03:10 PM »

no you can not because the doesnt impact as much when frozen

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 04:11:31 PM »

How does he keep them frozen? If he freezes them at home they are thawed before he gets to the coarse.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Lumps

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 06:27:25 PM »

How does he keep them frozen? If he freezes them at home they are thawed before he gets to the coarse.
Totally! I think he's pulling one. I believe you need the ball to compress to make it go farther, freezing it would take this quality away. Try a ProV1! ;)
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 06:45:29 PM »

he has the golf balls in a small cooler ,when he opens the cooler a mist comes out .I think he packs them on dry ice .

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 05:05:52 PM »

Hes cheating.
Really i do think he is hurting not helping his drives.
275 pffft ::) ;D

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 11:06:44 PM »

i have golfed many times and i cannot see how in any way how frozen gold balls would help ones drive.

hes yakin your chains :D

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 05:29:33 AM »

thanks for the help on the frozen golf balls ,I will tell him he is full of $h.t . However I have seen him hit a ball from his cooler and it went a lot further than mine .

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 04:38:04 PM »

I think you would cave in your driver face pretty quick by hitting frozen balls. I think you would get greater distance if you put heat to the balls.

THis is a challange for mythbusters or my kids science project for next year.  ;D

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 10:02:26 PM »

I golf regularily. I play about 3-4 times a week. I think that freezing the balls can make a difference. The thing is, is that harder balls go further, and softer balls less distance, but with more accuracy and spin. I can see how freezing a golf ball may give you some extra distance, but I doubt 25yrds :P. When your club head makes contact with the ball, the ball compresses. By freezing he ball, little compression will be made, most likely giving it more distance.

I know one ball that has added some distance to my shot.   Nike Juice GINORMOUS This will most likely soon be the only ball I golf with. I play right now with a Nike Mojo. I refuse anything else.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 10:06:59 PM by Coho Cody »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 06:11:54 PM »

Total and absolute crap..and he's cheating as well...
First off, the optimum distance you can get with a golf ball is over 70*F and better as it gets hotter. Do you hit a ball further (carry) in the summer or winter??? For every 5* below 45* you lose roughly 5 yards down to something or other...basically what really matters is dimple patterns, core material and the thickness of the face of the driver...
A golf ball that is frozen or taken out of a cooler while in play is a violation of the rules of golf and would be forfeiture of a match and two strokes per hole that it is used on...
Ben Hogan used to heat his golf balls inside his house during cold weather play and then before the match always carry one in his pocket to keep it as warm as possible...
Kind of already said...but it should be obvious to you guys....You ever hit your 8 iron 160 yards here then go down to phoenix or over to kamloops or kelowna and you hit the same 8 iron 180+ yards????

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 07:57:35 PM »

First off, the optimum distance you can get with a golf ball is over 70*F and better as it gets hotter. Do you hit a ball further (carry) in the summer or winter??? For every 5* below 45* you lose roughly 5 yards down to something or other...basically what really matters is dimple patterns, core material and the thickness of the face of the driver...
A golf ball that is frozen or taken out of a cooler while in play is a violation of the rules of golf and would be forfeiture of a match and two strokes per hole that it is used on...
Ben Hogan used to heat his golf balls inside his house during cold weather play and then before the match always carry one in his pocket to keep it as warm as possible...
Kind of already said...but it should be obvious to you guys....You ever hit your 8 iron 160 yards here then go down to phoenix or over to kamloops or kelowna and you hit the same 8 iron 180+ yards????

Thats because the ground is harder and you get the roll and bounce. Also you can hit a ball further if you are in high altitude.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 06:03:37 PM »

Thats because the ground is harder and you get the roll and bounce. Also you can hit a ball further if you are in high altitude.

Just like sprinting .  Every ones PB is always at altitude.  Thinner air has less resistance.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 12:59:24 PM »

No brian, I hit greens and spin the ball so they don't bounce..alitude is one thing but I don't think phoenix is above sea level...something about the "valley" of the sun.. It's about the heat, the warmer the ball the further it goes up to 90* I beleive...I use your interior as it's hot...anything around us at sea level and with the air density we have is going to cause restricted ball flight..but I would have thought you knew all this as a golfer...
When Tiger played the PGA down in Seattle, he was asked how he liked playing out here...he said he loved it, except for the fact that he was hitting his 7 iron 200 yards the week before and now he was hitting it 150 yards out here...