Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pictures of snaggers  (Read 7311 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Pictures of snaggers
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 08:25:26 PM »

The difference is that there is no need if you know what you are doing. If you truly know how to fish then you can catch fish on the veddar with no real problems. The reason it is done on the fraser for sockeye is that the sockeye do not bite. People bring it to the veddar because they only know one way to catch fish and that is to floss( also known as snagging). It is pretty sad.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

weizen

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 08:38:16 PM »

The difference is that there is no need if you know what you are doing. If you truly know how to fish then you can catch fish on the veddar with no real problems. The reason it is done on the fraser for sockeye is that the sockeye do not bite. People bring it to the veddar because they only know one way to catch fish and that is to floss( also known as snagging). It is pretty sad.

Flyguy,

I realize this and i'm not arguing for flossing on the veddar, I'm simply attempting to figure out the difference from a legal/regs perspective.

The difference you mention is of course a practical difference, and i'm sure 99.9% of people that participate in this board will agree on that. But in my mind it's not a legal argument.  I doubt a judge would care about the "if you know what you're doing" argument in court.   

So, back to the question posted earlier in this thread....Is it Illegal or not?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 08:51:52 PM »

Let's just say that it isn't right to do so.......  As for the legality of it, I am not sure.  There is nothing in the regs regarding leader length.  But some here will swear that there buddies' buddy has gotten a fine for using a longer leader and flossing fish on the Vedder. :-\
[/quote]

So does anyone know for sure, I mean it's obvious that flossing on the vedder or other systems is not a "technique" favored or endorsed by DFO and by the majority on this board, but from a legal perspective, and the perspective DFO and a court of law would take is what is the difference between flossing the Fraser for sockey (Clearly legal for the moment) and flossing the veder?   

I'm curious to know if the regs have  specific wording that allows it on the Fraser but banns it elsewhere?
[/quote]Actually there is no difference when it comes right down to it. That is why I refuse to take part in the sockeye openings as I could not defend my position that it is ok to fish one way on one system and not on another, I believe I can not have it both ways, not that I would want too.

I know members of this forum that fish sockeye would never dream of carrying the same method over to others rivers but unfortunately many others do as the reports are now flooding in from many how distasteful it is out there on the Vedder. They have leaned only how to floss fish and have no idea or in many cases the will to learn how to sportfish, where you actually have to work at the craft to  intice a fish to take your offering.

In all respect to all this is why I have posted so many times on this flossing issues this past season and other years the danger of the sockeye openings. Maybe good news is ahead as I heard through a contact some changes have been suggested by some enforcement staff on this issue not sure exactly what is planned or where it will go. I guess we will just have to wait and watch the abuse of our precious fish stocks on the Chilliwack Vedder for a little longer.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 09:05:52 PM »

[/quote]You posted this since I posted my last comments so will add a little more. I would say it is as legal as what goes on out on the Fraser however I believe the regulations say you are not supposed to intently go out and attempt to snag fish at any time but as we know very few sockeye actually bite on the Fraser so one can make your own judgment on that bases. If the regulations read the fish must be hooked inside the mouth not in the mouth as it reads now (which seems to means around the mouth area in the sockeye opening) that would make those fish illegal to retain.

A number of anglers on the Vedder which we all observe seem to strike at every drift so the CO after observing that they can issue a ticket for attempting to snag.

This is now a very difficult issue to deal with of course and there is no easy answer. It can be controlled to some degree with some new regulations but to stop what we have now is impossible unless we ban fishing all together and who would want that to happen, unless you are a member of PETA.

weizen

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2006, 09:41:56 PM »

This is now a very difficult issue to deal with of course and there is no easy answer. It can be controlled to some degree with some new regulations but to stop what we have now is impossible unless we ban fishing all together and who would want that to happen, unless you are a member of PETA.

Well said Chris,  I think you've answered my question.  Let's hope Pam Anderson isn't reading this forum.......we wouldn't want to get PETA involved.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2006, 10:07:03 PM »

Well said Chris,  I think you've answered my question.  Let's hope Pam Anderson isn't reading this forum.......we wouldn't want to get PETA involved.
She is a cousin of my first cousin so I better not bring it up when I see her next time. Actually I should have got her to come to the cleanup tomorrow but I imagine it would decrease the attendance. ;D ;D

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2006, 11:30:23 PM »

Flyguy,

I realize this and i'm not arguing for flossing on the veddar, I'm simply attempting to figure out the difference from a legal/regs perspective.

The difference you mention is of course a practical difference, and i'm sure 99.9% of people that participate in this board will agree on that. But in my mind it's not a legal argument.  I doubt a judge would care about the "if you know what you're doing" argument in court.   

Based on Regulation, flossing is completely legal.  To bother, harass or threaten someone can result in charges and conviction under the Criminal Code.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2006, 11:35:58 PM »

Better idea is to have spot closures on certain areas. eg - No fishing 100m above KWB and no fishing 500m below KWB. I can think of a few other places on the Chilliwack/Vedder that could use this regulation. I think I'll send these ideas to DFO and MOE.
Ya that sounds good but then they will seek new holes and ruin the rest of the river they aren't allready occupying. :'(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2006, 11:52:34 PM »

What about posting a pic of someone with their face blocked/altered?

That defeats the whole purpose of posting pictures of snaggers