Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ghost shrimp  (Read 5742 times)

rockonfishing

ghost shrimp
« on: December 28, 2013, 08:34:58 AM »

Merry Christmas to all, and hope steelheading will be good for those venturing out this year,
I hear rumours that ghost/sand shrimp is good bait, do any of you know where I can purchase fresh, or is frozen krill good enough.
thanks
Ron

Burkie

Re: ghost shrimp
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 10:23:35 AM »

You have to go pump them out of the sand yourself. They las about a day after that they are useless.
Also you can't freeze them or any of the sort.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »

They'll last up to a week if you keep them cool.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 01:00:01 PM »

I just go get the fake berkley sand shrimp. they work too
Tight lines to all

RyanB

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »

Fake Berkley sand shrimp don't work.

You can't keep them for a week unless you keep them separate from each other and clean the container you keep them in.  They attack each other and will die in their own piss.  Clean their container every day.

Don't keep the females with eggs.  You'll see a cluster of yellow fine roe under them.  Just let them go so there's more next year.

Look up "Yabby pump" on youtube and you can build your own pump.  I built mine out of home depot parts, ABS and PVC.  Cost about $25.  Its also good for collecting rag worm which are excellent for flounder and other bottom fish.

Ambleside pier area at low tide is excellent for collecting them.  Just look for holes in the sand.

Regular cooked shrimp works well for bottom fish so collecting ghost shrimp isn't really necessary.  You need a tidal license to collect ghost shrimp.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 06:40:50 PM »

Layer with seaweed and paper towel, change paper towel daily and store in the fridge. They will last week with a little effort.
Shrimp with broken backs don't survive the night so keep them separate.
 I only pump what I will use in a week. I rarely use more then 6 a day.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:42:56 PM by canso »

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 01:27:48 AM »

well they have worked very well for me, It was just my 2 cents.
Tight lines to all

zap brannigan

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 01:51:20 AM »

berkley sand shrimp work almost as well as do raw prawns, you can pump your own if you feel more confident in fresh bugs, but in all reality you dont gain anything over roe or prawns either that confidence and thats what counts in most cases.... confidence and good presentation.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 03:54:14 AM »

Although you can legally harvest ghost shrimp, another perspective is that they are an important part of the intertidal ecosystem along the Pacific flyway and a food source for  migratory and resident shore birds.

With the availability of artificial baits and farmed natural baits (dew worms and shrimp, for example), consider leaving the ghost shrimp in the sand and develop a confidence with other baits and lures.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 08:25:11 AM »

If anyone is looking for a really awesome bait pump I have one for sale....never been used.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 08:52:29 AM »

I am with clarki on on this one.But to each his own.
Riverman

chromeo

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 03:34:40 PM »

Although you can legally harvest ghost shrimp, another perspective is that they are an important part of the intertidal ecosystem along the Pacific flyway and a food source for  migratory and resident shore birds.

With the availability of artificial baits and farmed natural baits (dew worms and shrimp, for example), consider leaving the ghost shrimp in the sand and develop a confidence with other baits and lures.

Tell that to the some of the locals from chilliwack who come down and "stock up" for endless days of fishing on the veddar.  I play dumb when i see ppl down there and try striking a conversation.  One time i was talking to a veddar local and literally seen about 200 shrimp in his bucket.

I always find i go only through 20-30 of them a day max.  I rarely pump my limit and thats if i even ever go down there anymore.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »

Great post clarki. ;)