Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bait  (Read 6942 times)

fishherron

• DSC00434-001
Re: Bait
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 01:12:54 AM »

???
Hi F A try me again another return address ok   Gord
Fish for all your worth but, remember what the fish are worth.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 12:08:36 PM »

I think Rodney explained it perfectly and if you already new all of that why even try selling it in the first place, I think your next friend is Craigslist..........

On the other hand I fully understand why a guy like Rod {Bentrod} can't sell his gear in the B&S.

Now, what about a guy like Everyday and his "RoeFlies" ? I like the fact that he sells them on here but it's kinda hypocritical in a way too, I mean he's been taking orders from people non stop, if that isn't next to being a commercial entity i don't know what is.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander Rodney, although bait is the issue your dealing with on this one, selling ANYTHING in bulk etc etc should have to have a second look by the mods to be fair to everyone.

p.s.     next thing you know the little tots lemonade stands will need a permit. ::)

my 0.02

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 12:36:11 PM »

You're right Bentley, the rule is not black and white so the Dion and I are always revising the guidelines. Should Every Day's roe flies, Geff's spinners, flyrod's rods and reels be classified as commercial sales like Bent Rods' jigs and spinners? Perhaps, but where would the line be drawn? I guess a few things are used to determine that. These individuals are not selling a brand, no HST are charge and they're not commercial entities/no business licence (as far as I am aware of anyway).

My main concern with the bait sale is not whether it is a commercial sale or not, but I do not wish to see a flood of bait sale if we allow one or two on here. It doesn't help Fisheries and Oceans Canada if we cannot the legality of the sales.

Is this fair for fishherron? Probably not and it's nothing personal. Ultimately I have to make decisions that are best for my website.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 12:48:34 PM »

You're right Bentley, the rule is not black and white so the Dion and I are always revising the guidelines. Should Every Day's roe flies, Geff's spinners, flyrod's rods and reels be classified as commercial sales like Bent Rods' jigs and spinners? Perhaps, but where would the line be drawn? I guess a few things are used to determine that. These individuals are not selling a brand, no HST are charge and they're not commercial entities/no business licence (as far as I am aware of anyway).

My main concern with the bait sale is not whether it is a commercial sale or not, but I do not wish to see a flood of bait sale if we allow one or two on here. It doesn't help Fisheries and Oceans Canada if we cannot the legality of the sales.

Is this fair for fishherron? Probably not and it's nothing personal. Ultimately I have to make decisions that are best for my website.

I wonder what the actual law is for when a license is required. ED and Geoff are both producing a product for which they will sell to make a profit. flyrod I know buys equipment for cheap and then sells it at a marked up price like a pawn shop would, and pawn shops require a business license.

Not trying to stir the pot but I agree with both sides and am just curious about this and have wondered about it for a while now. This could be an interesting discussion. I totally agree with Rodney and the selling of bait and the whole legality issue it could bring. If anything Rodney is potentionally preventing the OP from getting in huge you know what lol.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 12:50:52 PM by Johnny Canuck »
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »

Thanks for the reply Rodney, I think your decision is the correct way to go on this issue.

I like the fact that you can buy some homemade spinners and flies like Geff's and Everydays on here. As for flyrods rods and reels he has for sale, their also great, not many places you can go to these days and find some of the gear he has for sale, BUT,  maybe throw a hint his way that it would be nice to see some posts from him that are not in the Buy & Sell, as he basically floods that forum but has little else to share on the site, but that's up to you as well..........

p.s. Beautiful X-mas present you got there Rodney, well done.  ;)!!!!!!!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 07:24:42 PM »

Geoff isn't the only one that sells spinners and spoons on this site. LOL

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 03:03:13 AM »

If I remember right, any business entity that is run for the sole purpose of creating continuous profit is considered commercial and is subject to taxation laws...however, there are also special guidelines for selling under the food and agricultural act which i believe coincides with the ocean and fisheries act.

these laws were obviously put in place to protect the integrity of the supply source, but i can see how the vague forum guidelines gives the perception of hypocrisy.

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »

I see that I am included in this discussion.  Good dialogue happening once again.  Concerning my product that I sell on this site: I have sold numerous items for other people, such as two widows who didn't know how to sell their husbands gear, boats and fishing clothing.  Also, have sold many items for fishermen whose health has declined to the point of not being able to fish.  Rick Pasek and I sold much of one individuals in that category.  I am currently trying to sell some fly and spey gear for a fellow who is also on this site and is reducing his inventory as he is doing less fishing at this time.  Why am I doing it?  Because of the connections I have that he may not.  I have a lot of Sage Rods both new and used.  I have had a lot of the new because I bought out a lot of the Sage Rod inventory that one tackle store had and was getting out of Sage.  Did that with another store that was up country and struggling to keep alive.  I enjoy helping people move product and get product.  2008-2012 has seen the fishing industry take a big financial hit.  From what I understand, there are fewer fishing licences in activity today than there were 25 years ago. Sites like Rod's is helping get the message out there and market a positive and pleasurable lifestyle for the upcoming generation.  I commend him and the team for that. 

Is the concept of commercial only defined by when "one makes a profit" or that HST has to be charged???  Is profit only considered when you make "more on the sale than on the purchase".  Is profit only on "new gear" and not "previously used" if you sell for more than you bought?  I think that those that are posting on this site that are commercial businesses would like to see as much action on the Buy & Sell as it increases their visibility.  There are fishing sites that have very little "foot traffic" because they have been too restrictive.  There is a danger in being over protective. 
I know that Rodney has to be careful and wise in this area. I respect his decision making process and fairness.  As far as Fishing with Rod Buy & Sell, I have not sold a lot of product that I have.  If you observe, I have gear that has been up there for a long time with no bites.  I move more through Craigslist.  If allowed, I will continue to enjoy this site.
Anyways, enough from me.  Happy New Year and keep your line in the water and your face constantly smiling.  Rod