Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wading Jacket  (Read 38419 times)

Animal Chin

Re: Wading Jacket
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2015, 12:13:10 PM »

Practically speaking, Goretex and eVent, or waterproof breathable fabric is waterproof. It's a porous membrane that allows water vapour but not water itself to penetrate, sandwiched between 2 pieces of nylon for fit and finish.

If it becomes clogged with sweat or dirt, the vapour cannot be released. The wicking action on the outer nylon is from the DWR (durable water resistant coating) that wears off after use and can be re-applied with varying success.

Waders, like the Simms, are a waterproof breathable fabric as well. I guess not as breathable as Goretex etc because you can submerge it under with current and it stays "waterproof" .... I'm not going to argue it because who really cares.

Point is, keep your jacket clean. And if you're getting a little damp with an old jacket, maybe give it a good wash with the right detergent and you may get it's life back.

Sometimes if the outer shell gets soaked, and the jacket isn't lined, it may give the impression of being wet (cold0 but it actually didn't soak through.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2015, 02:55:48 PM »

Buddy I'm talkin about jackets, don't be stupid and talk about waders.  That's like apples and oranges.
Waders and jackets are different materials.  What I'm saying is the JACKETS in goretex even though they are marketed as waterproof, is only to a point.  After use and getting poured on what I'm saying is you will get some water penetration. So if you have a budget get frog toggs, if you have unlimited budget get what ever tickles you fancy.

Wow great attitude. Last I checked Simms waders used Goretex so it's not like apples and oranges.
Please explain to me how the Goretex is different??
I can fish in downpour conditions all day with my Simms Goretex jacket and have dry shoulders at the end of the day. But maybe I'm being stupid and comparing coconuts to mangos. :-\

Sagefishr

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »

Quote from: Sagefishr on Today at 11:06:43 AM
Buddy I'm talkin about jackets, don't be stupid and talk about waders.  That's like apples and oranges.
Waders and jackets are different materials.  What I'm saying is the JACKETS in goretex even though they are marketed as waterproof, is only to a point.  After use and getting poured on what I'm saying is you will get some water penetration. So if you have a budget get frog toggs, if you have unlimited budget get what ever tickles you fancy.

Wow great attitude. Last I checked Simms waders used Goretex so it's not like apples and oranges.
Please explain to me how the Goretex is different??
I can fish in downpour conditions all day with my Simms Goretex jacket and have dry shoulders at the end of the day. But maybe I'm being stupid and comparing coconuts to mangos. :-\

Obviously you can't read, jacket!!!! Waders????  Two different materials!!!  Thanks animal chin for explaining the different materials and coatings.   Maybe read the thread first, now it's getting slightly off topic here.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2015, 04:15:25 PM »

Obviously you can't read, jacket!!!! Waders????  Two different materials!!!  Thanks animal chin for explaining the different materials and coatings.   Maybe read the thread first, now it's getting slightly off topic here.
There are not different types of Gore-tex.
Gore-tex waders have the same membrane as a Gore-tex jacket.
Simms Headwaters, G3 and G4 waders are made with Gore-tex

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:28:16 PM by canso »

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2015, 06:24:26 PM »

Frogg Toggs - 25% off this week (until Nov 15th) coupon code VETSDAY
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Blackrt03

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2015, 07:15:21 PM »

Frogg Toggs - 25% off this week (until Nov 15th) coupon code VETSDAY

SJ...which store?

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2015, 07:25:04 PM »

Animal Chin

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2015, 07:29:33 PM »

We're going to be like the Vedder Militia with our Frogg Toggs jackets. I ordered my Hellbender for like $68 USD from Amazon. I think the discount code is good through Frogg Toggs.

If you guys are looking for an awesome waterproof jacket/windjacket (best piece of clothing for backpacking..wind is the worst), take a look at the FT Driducks Ultralight 2. It's a full rain suit, ugly as sin, but the lightest best breathing, waterproof jacket I've worn. It's even better than my dedicated (non-waterproof) wind shirts....and it's like $15. I've hiked Torre Del Paine, Corsica GR20 and the Grand Canyon for hours with my pack and was very comfortable.

The pants will rip easily but easy to patch with duct tape.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:00:10 PM by Animal Chin »

Shinny

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2015, 09:55:04 PM »

There are not different types of Gore-tex.
Gore-tex waders have the same membrane as a Gore-tex jacket.
Simms Headwaters, G3 and G4 waders are made with Gore-tex

There are a few different types of Gore-Tex.

N80p-X GORE-TEX® Pro 3L
N40r-X GORE-TEX® Pro 3L
N70p GORE-TEX®

There are more.. there is definitely different types and quality of Gore-Tex. Not sure what Simms uses. The Gore-Tex Pro material is incredibly light weight and the most durable and wear resistant.

A product made by Grangers is one of best and most recommended products to use for cleaning and restoring Gore-Tex fabrics. It's essential that after its washed that the garment is put in the dryer on medium high heat. The drying effect is also what partially restores the waterproofing, think of the Gore-Tex fibres as your finger. When it loses it water repellency due to dirt, grim and body oils that have evaporated the fibres have staightened. When you dry it on medium-high heat the fibre curls like your finger and that's what's providing the water repellant. If in a real bind you can just put a true Gore-Tex jacket in the dryer withough cleaning it and partially restore some waterproofing effect.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 10:02:27 PM by Shinny »

VA7DDP

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2015, 11:48:26 PM »

The new Rapala a Interface jacket is really nice, but I think a lot of places are sold out.

Animal Chin

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2015, 04:31:52 PM »

I ordered the small FT Hellbender. I'm about 5'7". Great jacket, nice fit and finish, useful handwarmer pockets (X2 sets), but when I lifted my arms over my head the jacket rode up quite a bit. Too bad, I sent it back. YMMV.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2015, 05:17:02 PM »

Just picked up my Pilot II Guide in Blaine.
First impression is more than positive.
I like the Coyote (dark brown) colour with the black zippers.

Details to follow after I give it a good whirl on Sunday.

A word of warning about the sizing, which I believe applies to all Frogg Toggs products.
The sizing is similar to Simms's, meaning XL and XXL are really big - the way there are supposed to be.

My jacket is XXL and it leaves plenty of room for layering on my 6'4", 275# frame. The sleeves are very long, almost too long. Check the sizing chart on FT's website. It's very accurate.

Animal Chin

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2015, 08:12:40 PM »

Milo, does the jacket ride up with arms lifted or outstretched? If so, does it fall back on it's own or do you have to re-adjust with hands? Let us know how the neoprene cuffs work out as well. Thanks

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2015, 09:53:56 AM »

Frogg Toggs - company report/comment.

The zipper on my HB is a tad tough to start after a few trips (I may even be the culprit.....), so I emailed them and asked how much to replace.  They quickly replied back that they would warranty it (although it's slightly out of warranty period and I don't know where my receipt is anyway).  I asked if there was anyway to upgrade to their new jackets - sure say they, $40 upgrade fee and I'm good to go!  Since I'm in Canada, no need to send the old jacket back, just cut the tags off and send them in with the return authorization (so the cost of a stamp vs. the cost of courier/package to return).

I was already sold on the quality/price of their products - THAT warranty offer and quick, friendly correspondence sealed the deal - can't say enough good things about Frogg Toggs!!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2016, 07:47:19 PM »

Finally had the chance to test my Pilot II jacket yesterday on a higher elevation mountain stream, where I was greeted with incessant rain, hail, sleet and merciless wind, logging a total of 12 kilometers along the stream.
The jacket performed flawlessly. Water rolled off it in beads, keeping me dry and comfy. The neoprene hand cuffs were 90% effective in keeping the water out of my arm despite my holding the rod up in the downpour for quite some time.
The jacket is very comfortable to wear - doesn't ride up when casting and stretching and it has an array of water-proof pockets for storage and loops to hang things. Breathability is top notch.

My buddy Tad who was with me and uses a Simms Guide 3 jacket (or maybe even 4, not sure), said the Pilot II will be his next purchase, that's how impressed he was with it.

Simms performance at a fraction of the price. What's not to like?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:49:06 PM by milo »