It should be MUCH tighter
- 3 (6.8%)
Perhaps the Reports could be tighter, But I like the General
- 7 (15.9%)
It's good the way it is
- 25 (56.8%)
People should be given more freedom to say what they want
- 7 (15.9%)
What about Freedom of speech!  I got Rights!
- 2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: November 20, 2004, 02:59:53 PM

Author Topic: Moderation  (Read 4735 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Moderation
« on: November 10, 2004, 02:59:53 PM »

Not that it will necessarily change anything, but I'm curious...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 03:13:08 PM by DragonSpeed »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Moderation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 03:14:37 PM »

You forgot about trolls.... and poor grammar usage! ;D

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 03:49:17 PM »

Hmmmm
I'm gonna have to go check out Reports . . . .

apprentice

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 11:07:04 PM »

I'd like a see a warning system so that if someone makes a mistake in the heat of the moment they are not immediately banned for life.  An example was earlier this summer where a few members, whom  made numerous informative valueable posts were banned for making a mistake------perhaps
they may have even made more than one and not even realized it.   A system
warning that after a certain number of positive posts will put them back into
the good or, if the posts remain negative will result in them then being banned, is something I'd like to see. 
I'm not reffering to back stabbing weasles but, those who make an honest mistake in the heat of the moment or, are just unaware they are posting inappropriately. 
Just my opinion for what it's worth. 

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 11:31:40 PM »

There was a LOT of email that went on off the public face of the system.  People had their chances....  Moderators have no desire to embarrass people publicly.  Honestly (other than ourselves :D)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 12:34:10 AM »

There were several messages from Rodney reminding members to be civil but several members ignore the warnings and kept on posting derogatory comments. The moderators in my opinion had no choice but to banish them.

Oliver

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 05:27:06 AM »

This site is over modded imo. If you dont agree with a few select people and rock the boat even a little, out you go. Not my site though, you can run it however you want...

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 07:01:37 AM »

This site is over modded imo. If you dont agree with a few select people and rock the boat even a little, out you go. Not my site though, you can run it however you want...

agree. unless personal attacks going on mods should stay out. micromanaging a site kills the life out of it so all the remaining members are just spawned out dogs.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 07:03:50 AM »

Hopefully people here feel strongly about fishing and a lot of things associated with it.  And most of us also have lives off the river as well, so we feel strongly about other things too.  I think it is healthy that our opinions and ways of doing things bump up against conflicting opinions and ways of doing things.  That's one of the ways we grow.  I like what Wm Blake had to say about opinions:  "A man who never changes his opinions is like still water:  not to be trusted."

My impression is that everyone on this board means well, that they are here to get and to share information as well as electronicly rub elbos with generally like-minded people.  At worst we may have a few of what R Crumb calls "rough tough cream puffs," guys who get all bristly one moment when you've abused one of their opinions and then give you the coat off their backs (or invite you to their secret fishing hole) for no very good reason the next.

I think it is generally good for all of us to have some of these well-meaning curmudgeons around.  At best these guys have some good points to make (in a gruff way), and at worst they serve as examples for the rest of us (especially our younger members) as how we might turn out if we're not carefull.

apprentice

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 12:03:31 PM »

There was a LOT of email that went on off the public face of the system.  People had their chances....  Moderators have no desire to embarrass people publicly.  Honestly (other than ourselves :D)

Obviously I'm not aware of what goes on behind the scene and I'm not trying to critisize anyone or anything.  In fact I think this is a great site with lots of very good members.  The moderation has also been very good and fair.  :-*  But since you asked, I'd like to see some kind of warning system followed by perhaps a suspension rather than a life sentence.    :)
All I'm trying to say is it would be nice to know where one stands formally even if it's only available to those involved.  I just don't want to get out of the wrong side of the bed at the wrong time of the month and get castrated.   ;D  

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 10:48:28 AM »

I think the level of moderation is good, its to prevent the site from becoming like some sites like sharphooks.com, where personal attacks and degrading comments have turned users off forever.

TtotheE

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 01:16:07 PM »

The level of moderation is good.  This is a "family" oriented site,  so a certain amount of moderation is required,  so that people of all ages would feel comfortable reading the content of all posts.  Keep in mind that comfort level differs from person to person,  child to adult.  ;)  I think that these thoughts are guideline enough for any post.

Personal attacks should be just that,  personal.  There's no need for it on a public forum.

Fiery debates should be done in the chatroom,  live,  so if you have something to say then you won't be left steaming for 10 hours until you get off work.  Perhaps in a "room" specific to the topic of the debate  :)

Business owners have the right to deny services to paying customers at their discretion.  The owner will have their own reasons to do so,  and are well aware of any consequences.  The customer in such a case should not only be angered by the denial of service,  but reflect on the reasons why.

I've been to a few forums,  not just fishing related.  From computer help(software and hardware),  online gaming,  general discussion etc.  It never ceases to amaze me how 1337 people become on the internet.

mooch

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 06:48:24 PM »

The moderators are doing a helluva job!! Two thumbs way up!!