Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Outboard in winter  (Read 4245 times)

bmynbr

Outboard in winter
« on: November 20, 2015, 09:54:57 AM »

Quick question, first winter with a boat and not sure what I am supposed to do. I would like to use the boat during the winter, but not sure what to do after using it. Should I just run some coolant into it. Don't want anything to explode when it gets cold. 
Thanks, Dave

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: Outboard in winter
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:04:50 AM »

Are you storing your boat in a garage?

bmynbr

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 11:16:55 AM »

No I'm not. It's in my driveway

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 03:40:05 PM »

I'm no expert in outboards or boat maintenance and I store my boat in the garage but even with that my mechanic advised me on 2 things:

1- Make sure you have fuel stabilizer mixed with ethanol-free gas (Shell 91 or Chevron 94) in your outboard tank. I found Seafoam to be the best fuel stabilizer for my Honda. When you flush the engine at the end of each trip (assuming that you take your boat on the salt), detach the fuel hose and let the engine run until it burns all the leftover gas in the carb/fuel pump. This will minimize the risk of moisture buildup in your fuel system.

2- Make sure there's no water mixed with oil in your lower unit. Check the oil. if it's milky and not clear, change the lower unit oil ASAP.

It is actually a good idea to take the boat out on the water during the winter season. Last year we had a fantastic boating season and I never really got to "store" the boat for more than 2-3 weeks. I'm sure other experts can add more.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 04:11:34 PM »

--one thing that gave me a scare... I have to transport my boat with engine tilted up.
--make sure if you have a long haul that you tilt the motor down to get rid of water in the engine before tilting back up for transporting or it could freeze on the trip home.

--another thing that froze on me was my bilge pump.
--the batteries can take a beating as well so if I don't get out fishing for a couple of weeks put them on the trickle charger.

--this is because I fish over winter and have to store the boat outside.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:47:03 PM by skaha »

stsfisher

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 07:08:48 PM »

My boat gets stored for the winter in my garage. I do exactly what RainbowMan suggests and have had no problems.
I do not flush the engine ( freshwater ran only) so I just make sure that Stabilizer gets added at each fuel stop. I now am starting to add Seafoam as extra protection from buildup and such.

Shinny

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 08:10:03 AM »

I put in fuel stabilizer on my last trip out. Make sure the gas tank is competely full when I store it so there is less room in the tank for water vapour to condense. Trim the motor all the way down so it's vertical and water can drain out. Remove the battery. Tarp it up. I'm only in fresh water so no need to flush anything.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 12:16:07 PM »

I'm in the same boat. Wee 5hp stays in warm garage but the new 95/65 jet will be in the driveway over the winter and soon I will be winterizing it.

What I have learned from several websites and this site:

-2 stroke: run it out of gas and fog the carb(s). -4 stroke run it out of gas.

-Some don't bother but I would fog the cyclinder(s) as well.

-If built in tank fill it with non-ethanol gas and add stabilizer. If removable tank pour it in another gas burning vehicle.

-Grease all zerks to push out any trapped moisture.

-On my 4 stroke 5hp I change the engine oil and leg oil even if not that dirty. Oil is cheap! Plus it's fun to change. Just do it. On the 2 stroke jet I just top up the injection oil.

-If boat has a battery, take out, top up water and keep inside on a trickle charge over winter.

-Seems like with an outboard you do not need to run coolant through it if it is stored vertical. All the water will run out, or so I have been told.

Probably not 100% needed but I'm going to tarp the whole boat to keep the pissing winter rain off it.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 12:39:36 PM »

Here is what I do with my outboard;

- Stop using it sometime in October/November
- Start using it sometime in April/May

I've only owned outboards for 10 years, and never an expensive one so I guess I'm a risk taker?  My motors are as follows,  Mid 90's 5hp Merc, 2001 15hp Merc and now a late 80's 30hp Yamaha.  All 2 strokes.  The motors stay in a shed (non heated), uninsulated, but I do nothing special.

I only run non-ethanol gas.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 03:20:41 PM »

Unless otherwise missed something: the type/model/ make/year/engine/motor was  never mentioned.
Used to take up to 35 off the boat flush and store in the garage.
My inboard I would suggest fogging.

bmynbr

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 09:06:23 PM »

Thanks everyone.  It is a mariner 150 2 stroke.  I don't really want to fog the motor, because I would like to use it through out the winter if its not too cold.  I always top the fuel up on my way home from the water so that there is no room for moisture to accumulate.  I plan on adding stabilizer to all the fuel that I add.  I will definitely shut off the fuel and run it dry though.  Hadn't thought of doing that but I am sure will make a big difference in keeping the carbs clean.

Thanks again, Dave