Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson river  (Read 5958 times)

the carp

Thompson river
« on: November 03, 2010, 12:34:06 PM »

Well looks like the Thompson River will not open for steelhead fishing this fall as the required numbers have not been met.

Dogbreath

Re: Thompson river
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 06:42:58 PM »

That party ended over 20 years ago.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 11:51:52 PM »

Too many ended up in sockeye nets

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:41:25 AM »

--how about government policy that because they are wild they have to come back on their own only in extreeeeme circumstance would hatchery enhancement be considered.
--plus a lack of habitat and by-catch protection that would be required in any case.
--I'm all for giving up or reducing recreational fishing as long as it is part of a reasonable recovery plan and that all parties participate.

--In the past it seems the only management tool fisheries is willing or able to use is to close recreational fishing.
--Both Federal and Provincial fisheries only seem to be able to tell you what you can't do rather than what you can do.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 11:47:32 AM »

Yes, it very much IS a Shame the numbers for this magnificent run have plummeted to the point they have. A sad day indeed for the fish.  :'(

Many saw this coming down the pipe quite a few years ago, and a great many who did chose to forgo fishing for them as the numbers dropped off each passing year. I was one of them. IMHO that was the right thing to do. Conversely I never really did understand the mechanism which drove many many others to continue to scream and whine for their "right" to fish over an increasingly apparent depleted run. That being my point of view, I am not unhappy the fishery has been closed, just very sad that their numbers have, and continue to drop so dangerously low.

Given the publicity this closure has, methinks it is time to try and bring pressure to bear to turn this downward spiral around. There are likely a host of compounding factors that present "bottlenecks" to their successful recovery. It will take time, energy and funding to identify these, and to do what we are able to address them. The Provincial Government has shown little in the way of support for such a direction, and that is where we can potentially make something of a difference. IF those who chose to forgo the fishery decide to become vocal about the situation, IF those who poured so much energy into keeping the fishery open can now see their way clear to pour the same into turning the situation around, and IF we can find sympathetic ears amongst both the government and Private Sectors, then perhaps, just perhaps, this unique and treasured run might still have a fighting chance. IF...

I shudder to think on the alternative...  ???

Hoping...
Nog

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 03:22:42 PM »

Unfortunately, it is not that the provinciial government does not care or are 2 lazy to find out.  The truth is that the funding and the manpower required is unavaillable at this time.  Fisheries funding is beyond dwindling.  It has been re-routed into health care and schools.  If only there was a bigger pot of money.
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 04:45:14 PM »

Unfortunately, it is not that the provinciial government does not care or are 2 lazy to find out.  The truth is that the funding and the manpower required is unavaillable at this time.  Fisheries funding is beyond dwindling.  It has been re-routed into health care and schools.  If only there was a bigger pot of money.
--there is other none government money available in Gilly fund plus I would and I'm sure others would donate to a dedicated fund for an enhancement project... the habitat conservation fund from our licenses which is supposedly enveloped to such projects and is not supposed to go into general revenue where health care and schools get their money.

buncranabop

• Silver Bullet
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 05:41:32 PM »

The way to save the Thompson would be to turn it into a private fishery. Its terrible to think this magnificent run of fish might disappear because the government, who own it, dont have available resources to save it. In the right hands it could be brought back in a matter of years imo.
The two best times for fishing are (A) when its raining and (B) when its not.

Dogbreath

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 11:22:21 PM »

The way to save the Thompson would be to turn it into a private fishery........ In the right hands it could be brought back in a matter of years imo.
Care to share you magic formula?

Maybe we could apply it to all the South Coast Steelhead runs that have evaporated in the past 20 years.

buncranabop

• Silver Bullet
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 05:01:16 AM »

If the river where to be run by a dedicated group of individuals who had total control of how it was run they could generate money from whatever means posible but primarily it would be from charging anglers to fish these waters. Its basically running the river like a business where all funds generated go back into the river to help build spawning habitat and fix whatever problems are deemed to be causing the decline in the run. This is being done on salmon rivers all over Europe and although a lot of people here in BC wouldnt agree with privatising one of their resources its one way that might just save a desperate system (if of course the right people got involved). Heres a link to a page where a group (well it started with one English man) of people comitted themselves to a system in Russia that was devastated by poachers in the river and the salt water. http://www.kharlovka.com/ Its now thriving. They created what is called the "Atlantic Salmon Reserve" If anyone is interested these guys are giving away a DVD that shows the work these people have done and the type of fishing they now have, its well worth a look. Send them an email telling them your interested in what theyve done and theyl send you a copy.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 05:04:28 AM by buncranabop »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 09:18:27 AM »

--we are charged to fish our waters... conservation stamp and habitat protection fund... license fee goes to general revenue. Gofish BC has a contract to produce fish at the direction of the government.
--I'm totally against selling of this asset but I don't have a problem with firing the current managers of it.

--We have lots of government policy but we don't have a biologically based recovery plan which we can all work towards.
--Show me a plan and we'll raise the money and rally the users...if you want a user pay system then their should be an option to pay with volunteer hours so as not to exclude those who don't have a large pocket book.

--Private participation... no problem if we want to hire practitioners to run the program.. In fact I notice that many government experts once they retire, quit or are fired become quite aposteriori once free of constraining policy.

--Privatization:  I could live with some kind of co-management agreement for a specific geographic area.. I could see or would like to see at least on a trial basis... a limited lease agreement where an individual, community or private organization had the responsibility to initiate a fishing plan, provide in season monitoring etc. in exchange for privileged access such as a % of overall catch quota for the specific area. I would not want to give exclusive right to any group no matter how well meaning. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:00:59 PM by skaha »

Dogbreath

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 05:20:28 PM »

running the river like a business where all funds generated go back into the river to help build spawning habitat and fix whatever problems are deemed to be causing the decline in the run.
The Kharlovka runs through relatively unpopulated areas-sadly the first things that needs be done here in BC would be  eliminating much of the population-never a popular stance.

buncranabop

• Silver Bullet
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 11:59:52 PM »

Yea there is no doubt the thompson is in dire straits but I have only put possible thoughts out there to create speculation from local interest. we will see what happens, this river needs help! Reguardless of what happened on the kharlovka I think the point is, if people really want to save a river system of fish, all it takes is big ideas, dedicated people and a lot of hard work.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 12:06:27 AM by buncranabop »

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 07:31:47 AM »

I agree with what you just said but.The most important factor you left out was political will to change.Up to now we have not had any leaders in any government in the country with the will to create serious changes that could protect fish.Without that all the well intentioned efforts by the fishing public can never get any more than part of the job done.Just look at Newfoundland.
Riverman