Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baitcasting setup for steelhead/salmon.  (Read 5973 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Baitcasting setup for steelhead/salmon.
« on: December 04, 2007, 01:33:44 PM »

I am looking to go after Steelhead this season but I have had no experience with this yet.  Does anybody have any suggestions on an appropriate bait casting setup?

I would like to keep it all within the $200 range and I am willing to go with second hand for some of the better brands if necessary.

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
Re: Baitcasting setup for steelhead/salmon.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 03:33:10 PM »

I have a 10'6", meaduim heavy Shimano Convergence and a Shimano Catala, it has been a great combo for me, I am not sure but I believe it cost more than $200 though.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 03:41:50 PM by Zach »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 04:33:56 PM »

Check out your local tackle shops such as Berry's for their Christmas special packages.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 05:54:36 PM »

For rod, Trophy XL, Shimano, Daiwa all offer entry level 10'6" drift rod (look for ones rated 8 - 12lb). The cost hovers around $100, you might even find one much cheaper in the buy and sell section.

For reel, A small inexpensive low profile baitcasting reel is enough to handle steelhead in the Lower Mainland. Shimano Curado, Daiwa Advantage are my recommendations. The price should be below $150. I have a Japanese version of Shimano Curado in the buy and sell section. ;)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 07:32:52 PM »

Thanks for the info guys - all very good to know.

Nice reel Rodney. It looks like a good deal I will certainly keep it in mind.  For now I am just trying to get a feel for what I need  and how much I want to spend.

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 08:59:55 PM »

I am looking to go after Steelhead this season but I have had no experience with this yet.  Does anybody have any suggestions on an appropriate bait casting setup?

I would like to keep it all within the $200 range and I am willing to go with second hand for some of the better brands if necessary.

I've just posted a rod/reel combo  in the classifieds section.  Take a look if you're interested. It's a nice G.Loomis rod for steelheading.
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 03:55:24 PM »

check your local tackle shop for a good deal on a Fenwick "Canadian Methods" 10'6" with an abu 6600bcx reel. Should be right at the price your looking for. Brand new with a warranty. I saw it for sale last week at Stillwater sports in ladner.