Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fencing/ blocking off the Vedder River access  (Read 5959 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Fencing/ blocking off the Vedder River access
« on: March 03, 2007, 08:47:04 PM »

Iv noticed alot of fencing and cement blocks being put in along the vedder to stop campers on the middle river up to tamahi. I heard it was being put up by a campsite owner, to stop campers from camping along the river, is this true. ??? I can understand that some people will camp in the bush and not in a campsite, which will lose them profit, but come on this is too overboard if this is the case...... Also its ruins the nice view for all the drivers coming up and down that road, and the water view homes which will have to deal with a nice new chain fence in front of there view. Well i just think it is so stupid and there is just so many more stupid things I can think of, like what if some animals want to get a drink from the river and run across the road only to find out they cant, or if someone gets hurt on the other side how are emergency crews gonna get to them quickly. I dont know how much more blocking offf they will do but I just thought id say something about it and see what others think. The only upside if it does stop campers is it will stop the garbage being left behind.
The Bigger The Better!

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Fencing/ blocking off the Vedder River access
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 08:53:33 PM »

Unless they own the property, I doubt the camp site owners are putting up these fences.  Most likely, it's an adjacent neighbor or the government trying to stop overnighters.  The biggest problem with overnighters is the mess they leave behind. 

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 09:06:58 PM »

As long as they enforce it. I used to love staying in the camper during coho season. I guess that is out. will have to go to a site now I guess

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 09:08:16 PM »

If people take the time and take their garbage out with them there wouldn't be a problem.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 11:08:54 PM »

You see its the select few idiots that camp on the river from tamihi up that leave all the garbage ,that is why all the barricades are going up ,the small percentage of polluters are ruining it for those that use the area without polluting it with garbage,i would really hate to think that these areas are being closed to camping just to enhance the local campgrounds bottom line. >:( >:(
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 08:23:44 AM »

I have no idea who is putting up the fencing in the areas mentioned but I suspect it is the Fraser Valley Regional District as it has jurisdiction over the area. Personally, I used to object noisily to actions of this kind but after viewing the activity of some, I support moves such as this to restrict (hopefully) criminal behavior by a minority.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 09:20:08 AM »

Sadly the only people those fance will be stopping is the law abiding citizens.  Those bad apples will just find another place to stink up it their bad behavior will not just go away.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »

I will try to get some info one this.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 01:01:33 PM »

i dont think there will be many holes put into this fencing,the barricades are solid concrete blocks.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 04:41:09 PM »

Climb over and camp. Hey how about that, a private backyard.  No one will know what's happening behind those fence.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 05:09:13 PM »

From what I gather this is being done by the Ministry of Tourism, Sports and Arts. Apparently it will extend up as far as the Tamahi Bridge for now. As well no parking along the road from 10pm to 5am will be coming into effect shortly. I guess this time frame may cause some problems for some fishers during the summer months when it daylight for part of this time period. Of course not sure how well it will be enforced but if it is given to towing companies they will be very happy to tow as many vehicles as they can.

Of course none of us like to see this but the blame goes to all those that leave all that mess along the river as well as hacking down the trees etc.. I know a number of us have been trying to keep this area clean with our 4 cleanup days a year but I guess the residents have had enough of all the parties,noise and mess that goes along with it. It is too bad we have to suffer because of the inconsiderate actions of a few.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 05:36:11 PM »

I noticed that a few months ago someone blocked the access roads off the dyke below the Highway #1 bridge. Then they removed one of the rock barricades? People were dumping garbage on the rock barricades. That place did get a lot of garbage around it before they did it and none after.I launch my kayak there but I'am willing to hual it a bit farther if it keeps the garbage out. Then you do get semi's going off the bridge into the Vedder.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »

A user of this area that you talk about complained about this blockage so the City of Chilliwack opened it again. The user said he would work at keeping this area clean, time will tell I guess.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 11:45:04 AM »

From what I gather this is being done by the Ministry of Tourism, Sports and Arts. Apparently it will extend up as far as the Tamahi Bridge for now. As well no parking along the road from 10pm to 5am will be coming into effect shortly. I guess this time frame may cause some problems for some fishers during the summer months when it daylight for part of this time period. Of course not sure how well it will be enforced but if it is given to towing companies they will be very happy to tow as many vehicles as they can.

Of course none of us like to see this but the blame goes to all those that leave all that mess along the river as well as hacking down the trees etc.. I know a number of us have been trying to keep this area clean with our 4 cleanup days a year but I guess the residents have had enough of all the parties,noise and mess that goes along with it. It is too bad we have to suffer because of the inconsiderate actions of a few.
Further to this I went up and took a picture of this today and with a little more research I have been told no fence is being built but the posts you see are for no parking signs. I was concerned about a fence that could limit access to the river for us. As well as some one said they fence would be no good as it would just be knocked and cut down by the campers.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 11:48:31 AM »

A fence out here would be knocked down and sold for scrape metal

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day