Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What a difference a day makes.  (Read 1855 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
What a difference a day makes.
« on: February 27, 2006, 05:04:03 PM »

Surprising what a difference 24 hours make. Yesterday, it was raining, windy, freezing temperatures. Today it was cloudy, no wind and perfect water conditions. Arrived at my local flow this afternoon to find the overnight rain has brought the river up by couple of inches. Nice clarity. A brisk 20 minute hike found me at my favourite run. A fisherman was packing up to leave. He reports that he's been there for an hour and a half with nothing to show for his efforts. After he left I started plying the run with a prawn, then switched over to a roe bag. Fifteen minutes later as my float was nearing the end of the tailout, it disappeared ! A solid hook set followed and Fish On ! The steelhead went ballistic and started making a beeline towards some rapids. I was able to chase it a bit and kept in the run. He made another run into the fast water. In desperation I fed it some slack line in hope of turning this fish. It worked ! The downstream pull on the line resulted in the steelhead moving back upriver where I finally landed it. A quick flip of my needle nose plier on the DNE hook successfully released the 10 lb. wild female. Couple of casts later I had another hit was too slow on the draw on that one. Very nice day to be out.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: What a difference a day makes.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 11:19:39 AM »

Great job on the fish FA!!  Sounds like a nice day indeed!! ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 06:50:26 PM »

"Surprising what a difference 24 hours make. Yesterday, it was raining, windy, freezing temperatures. Today it was cloudy, no wind and perfect water conditions..."

Yesterday I had a day off and the weather for fishing was zero good. Today I have to go to work and look what happend. Isn't that typical. Good report Fish Assassin, enjoyable to read. Thanks for sharing it.
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 11:18:48 PM »

thanks for the report awsome job on the fish
weeeeeeeeeow!