Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: West Vancouver, August 12th 2012: A nice way to Cap off the Weekend  (Read 2747 times)

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome

Just a quick report. Headed out to West Van early this am to give the beach a go. Only saw one fish taken all morning and one jumper. Was very slow. Hit the Cap at about 8:30, love the low water for finess fly fishing. Really tests your patience and ability to find that right fly and presentation. Walked into my new found spot from last week and no one was there. Tried a small micro leech first and got a small coho immediately about 4 pounds. Was an absolute bar except it had a big chunk taken out of its side by a seal? :P I popped the hook and sent him on his way.

The next few hours yielded nothing but frustration. I went through most of the flies I had. Threw on a pink muddler and had a take a few casts later. This fish bent my little 7wt almost in two :o It dogged it on the bottom for awhile. I could see the flashing of silver, a huge coho compared to the rest at 8-9 pounds it looked like. Then it did something unusual, it took to the air 5-6 times showing pink hued sides. "What the heck kind of coho is that" I said out loud to no one in preticular. This fish pushed me to my limit before giving up and coming to my feet. The adipose fin showed I had my first ever summer run steelhead. What a beautiful fish ;D

I unhooked her, snapped a crappy pic and set her free. I ended my day on that as it couldn't get any better then that :) I now have a new favorite fish species. I will try and enhance the pic and post it but no promises. That made my year, and we're only in August. Also now have a new favorite river, I've yet to be skunked. ;D I dont know why all you guys say the Caps finicky, seems fine to me ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 11:26:02 PM by Steely »
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
Re: West Vancouver, August 12th 2012: A nice way to Cap off the Weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 11:55:17 AM »

Thanks for the report! Nice to know that there are still some chrome bars in there.

Tight lines!
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:28:28 PM »

Also now have a new favorite river.

Yep Steely, the Cap has been one of my favourite rivers for many, many years. I remember fishing it when you could keep Steelhead and I would fish it for 8 hours in the pouring rain for that one chance at the magical, mythical and sometimes seemingly invisible Steely. I now mostly fish it for the Coho run and it never dissapoints. Thanks for the Great report, it stirs the blood.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:31:07 PM by Athezone »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 07:30:48 PM »

At least 4 cohos caught off the mouth this morning including one by Rudy ;)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 08:00:41 PM »

Reminds me of the summer steelhead I caught while fishing for pinks at the Seymour mouth a few years ago.  A sweet surprise to be sure.
Not all those who wander are lost

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 11:32:35 PM »

At least 4 cohos caught off the mouth this morning including one by Rudy ;)
Dang, missed it by a day I guess. Saw about 10 summers in the cable pool, unfortunately they also looked like pin cushions with some gear hanging off there back :'( Feel really lucky to have been able to tie into one, especially on the fly. First summer steel and first steel ever on the fly :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 02:31:26 PM »

Great report, Steely. Congrats to your success. Awesome to fight a summer steel on fly. Don't need to go to the Dean for it. The Cap of all rivers. Next time I hope my fly will find a summer steel on the receiving end. So far only coho under 6 lbs on fly. Keep the dream alive.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 08:26:19 PM »

It's a little late but, here is one from a few weeks ago

Sorry about the sink shot

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 08:48:21 PM »

So bright it looks like a Kokanee.