Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, are you really concerned about fishing?  (Read 9611 times)

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
So, are you really concerned about fishing?
« on: May 02, 2005, 09:37:46 AM »

There have been threads and threads about the Steelhead, Cutthroat and Rainbow in the province.
The lack of a budget for WLAP and in fact the desimation of WLAP by the Provincial Government.
A lack of budget to do programs and no conservation officers.It goes on and on.

So the question is, have you talked to the people running in your riding and asked them there position on this?
They, all the people running always say they never heard any concerns about fish!

Now is the time, otherwise you will have to wait another four years.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
Re: So, are you really concerned about fishing?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 09:52:43 AM »

Good reminder.

You cant expect these guys to do an effective job if they are not given direction. They take direction best if its provided often and from lots of voices.

Let's not let them put our fisheries at the bottom of the pile for another 4 years. If you have time to spend on the river fishing, you can give a little time to put into the resource that gives you so much.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 01:12:47 PM »

OK - Perhaps we should come up with a general list of questions to ask MLA's.  I think the questions we need are:

1)  - Questions that are general to the province and include specific habitat/conservation issues.
2)  - Questions that are general to the province, and have to do with funding.
3) - Specific questions to candidates in specific ridings.

The problem is that many people know the government is ruining fishing and wilderness access (Forest Service sites), but people don't have the facts or a good "Put up or Shut up" question available to ask their candidates.  I know that's partially the problem that I'm having, when it comes to trying to squeeze my current or future-hopeful MLA.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 01:11:30 AM »

One may want to ask what they plan to do with the fish farms destroying our wild salmon and if they are planning on negotiating a treaty with the natives. In my opinion D.F.O has shown an inability to manage our resource and I will let my MLA know it.   When they dropped the charges against Bill Otway they showed they have something to hide.  Which I believe is negligence in regards to fish farms and aborigional fisheries.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 02:07:37 PM »

I think the real problem with the liberals is that they have a hidden agenda regarding the monies for fishery stuff.
They will cut budgets and expect the groups affected to come up with thier own funds. meanwhile all kinds of research dollars go into aquaculture instead of conserving and enhancing wild stocks. I feel the Green Party, at least up front, have the right idea based on comments made during the leaders debate the other night.
Unfortunately I can't support the Greens due to other issues in thier platform. That said, I DO NOT AND WILL NOT trust the Liberals, be they provincial or federal, to do the right thing regarding fisheries.
I can't stand the NDP.... so .... I am one very confused voter I tell ya.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 02:14:58 PM »

Have you consider voting for the Sex Party ? Anybody know what their stand is with respect to fishing ?

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 08:17:01 PM »

Hey fish my friend this is no joke!

It was only 18 months ago that Gordon & company were hatching a plan to do away with our provencial fishery and move to the British system. For the uninformed that means private leasehold water lots, which means you pay the waterlord to fish, each and every time you fish. In many cases by the hour. You can add to that a fee per inch/pound per fish and lets not forget paying the gillie. Lucky for the masses Brian Chan and freinds were able to sell the government on our freshwater fisheries society. Lucky also that they were able to make it float.

Think about when you go to vote, I kid you not when I tell you there are more than a few greedy parties out there who want to see an end to freehold angling permits so they can make anglers pay through the nose.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 08:21:23 PM »

It was only 18 months ago that Gordon & company were hatching a plan to do away with our provencial fishery and move to the British system. For the uninformed that means private leasehold water lots, which means you pay the waterlord to fish, each and every time you fish. In many cases by the hour. You can add to that a fee per inch/pound per fish and lets not forget paying the gillie.
I Beg Your Pardon-This I Do Not Believe.
Show me briefing papers show me minutes of meetings show me some proof not just Internet rumour mongering.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 08:54:53 PM »

Believe it or disbelieve it makes no difference to me. We are pasing out of our current fisheries program and moving to the British system, was a statement made by the former Agriculture, lands,and what ever they call it minister. Don't ask me here name because I don't remember it. (that is how little time or use I have for the present government.) Ignorance and arrogance is bliss in the liberal camp.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 09:14:31 PM »

it or disbelieve it makes no difference to me. We are pasing out of our current fisheries program and moving to the British system, was a statement made by the former Agriculture, lands,and what ever they call it minister.
So you admit to having No Proof of any such planning-I thought as much. ::)

Don't ask me here name because I don't remember it. (that is how little time or use I have for the present government.) Ignorance and arrogance is bliss in the liberal camp.
The arrogance is all yours-the ignorance as expressed by you confirms my initial belief that your post is worth the paper it's written on.
Are you really involved in the Media world here in BC?
If so I'm not at all surprised to read your baseless rumours and distortions-all in a day's work -eh? ::)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 09:43:24 PM »

Touche Sam

I receive and read a large amounts of documentation, reports, and news items of all kinds on all fascets of the sport fishing industry, and since I would much rather fill my library with sport fishing educational material, I file all the crapp in the recycler after a few months. Now as for the personal attack, you may continue if you wish, I have broad shoulders and my credibility is still intact. Besides controversy is good press.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 02:32:18 AM »

I receive and read a large amounts of documentation, reports, and news items of all kinds on all fascets of the sport fishing industry, and since I would much rather fill my library with sport fishing educational material, I file all the crapp in the recycler after a few months.
Bully!
You have no source and you admit it

Now as for the personal attack, you may continue if you wish, I have broad shoulders and my credibility is still intact.
Like Media people everywhere you believe that drinking other Media flacks bathwater equals credibility.
It doesn't and never will.
Nor does drinking your own bathwater/citing yourself as a source.
The funniest part is that you don't even realise the contempt that Media are held in here in BC. ::)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 08:11:02 AM »

well SAM salmon it was true maybe not as strict as Britainbut it would end up the same....!!!!
Again-Where's the Proof?
What part of proving what you're saying is true don't you understand? ::)
LOL!!!
The Internet is infamous for being a breeding ground for the most ridiculous nonsense extant and the poster who first brought this up has painted himself into a tiny tiny corner by shooting his mouth off and being unable to back up anything he said.
I wonder if he knows Tony Gallagher?

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 06:35:40 PM »

i say sink the liberal ship or use campell as a weight for bar fishing. ;D ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2005, 07:22:33 PM »

Or we could use the fast ferries  ;D