Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WCVI fishing charters  (Read 1847 times)

Easywater

• Old Timer
WCVI fishing charters
« on: April 04, 2019, 10:35:14 AM »

Now that it looks like most of the south island is going to be closed for Chinook fishing, any thoughts on finding a charter somewhere?

I suspect Bamfield, Ucluelet and Tofino will all be closed but there are a ton of charter guys that normally work out of there.

I normally fish in Tahsis (which will be open) but I checked prices at one outfit and they are ridiculous - I guess he figures he will be one of the only games in town - $1700 for two days fishing.

Any resources that you can think of where charter guys from the closed areas are going to be advertising if they are going to be working mid-island?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: WCVI fishing charters
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 04:32:36 PM »

What's the point. Spend all that money and retain 1 Chinook and 1 rock fish ?

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: WCVI fishing charters
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 11:11:14 AM »

It appears that the closure or limited retention areas will be Georgia Strait and the southern portion of VI (to Tofino on the west coast). This is to protect Fraser fish that the killer whales depend on for food.

More info: https://www.pqbnews.com/news/tofino-and-ucluelet-facing-likely-fishing-closures-in-2019/

The Scenario A) and Scenario B) items discussed present either a full closure (A) or limited retention (B) in those areas.

According to these guys:https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/esperanza-inlet-fishing-report/
March 2019
2019 will be one of the best seasons on record for Nootka and Esperanza, because of the 14 years of salmon enhancement in six local rivers by volunteers and the Conuma River Federal Hatchery.
Together they are all putting four to five million salmon fry in the water annually, on top of the natural spawn for the hundreds of area rivers and streams.
Plus, Esperanza and Nootka will be one of the few areas that will have no limit restrictions on salmon.[/
i]

It appears that it means the usually daily 2 - possession 4 for Chinook in those northern areas.
Throw in a few clipped coho and you could come home with 8 fish after 2 days fishing.

My charter buddy (who is now retired) said that there will be a flood of guys from Tofino and Bamfield heading north to find work.