Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WD 40 2000 plus uses  (Read 2756 times)

arimaBOATER

WD 40 2000 plus uses
« on: October 09, 2013, 12:36:51 AM »

This product has endless uses. Use it mainly on my pedal bike & door hinges or some rusty nut & bolt.
Thru the grapevine some fishermen claim ya can spray the product on your lure & some on your leader. Something about masking human scent.
Some claim there are  % of fish oil in WD 40.

Go figure??? Truth or fiction fact or bull truth or lie. ::)

Jeff_

Re: WD 40 2000 plus uses
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 01:22:30 AM »

I believe the old recipe had some fish oil in it but I don't think WD-40 contains any fish oil nowadays, but who knows since the recipe is kept hidden there might still be some fish oil in the product  ??? I would think some of the petroleum products and solvents inside WD-40 wouldn't be so great for the environment though, I personally would save it for my door hinges and not my lures  :)

ShaunO

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:15:33 AM »

Ah, the good old WD-40 urban legend....

WD-40 contains zero fish oil, and even if it has, it is still made up of large percentages of medium weight petroleum distillates and quick evaporating thinning agents.  No way would you want to intentionally put this any body of water, fish oil or not.  Also, it can play havoc with other petroleum based products, eg. monofilament, nylon, poly, etc., so I would avoid using it liberally on anything synthetic.

mzmann

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »

The spring in my profile pic was caught on a wd-40 sprayed lure (coyote spoon).....spent the first few hours of the day without a bite, brought the lures in and gave em all a shot of wd (I thought the family friend we were out with was talking crazy as well suggesting such a thing, lol) and literally a couple minutes with the lines back in and I nailed that spring...2 of the other 3 lines went off 5 min later with a double header and we had a KILLER rest of the day giving a shot of wd every once in a while. Now at the same time I am not saying 100% that it was the wd that made the difference but I sure wouldn't hesitate to try it again if the fishin's slow. Never heard of it being used nor do I think I would ever try or bother with it in any rivers/streams and such though.
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

lapa

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 12:55:27 PM »

Two years ago I was sturgeon fishing on Columbia river. Guide was using WD 40 to attract fish. We landed a few.

Suther

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »

Ah, the good old WD-40 urban legend....

WD-40 contains zero fish oil, and even if it has, it is still made up of large percentages of medium weight petroleum distillates and quick evaporating thinning agents.  No way would you want to intentionally put this any body of water, fish oil or not.

This.

Anybody who is using wd-40 as bait should be smacked. Its like taking a can and spraying it right into the ocean/river/lake. I would report this in a heartbeat. The fact that a guide - whos job depends on the health of the system - would do something so stupid is amazing.

salmonlover

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 02:08:56 PM »

This.

Anybody who is using wd-40 as bait should be smacked. Its like taking a can and spraying it right into the ocean/river/lake. I would report this in a heartbeat. The fact that a guide - whos job depends on the health of the system - would do something so stupid is amazing.

yeah because guides engines dont put unburnt fuel into the water. to me that's hell of a lot worse than a couple sprays of wd40.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 06:53:59 PM »

Ships empty their bilges in the open ocean; didn't we have a major oil spill in Alaska 25 yrs ago aprox. , oil wells leak at Gulf of Mexico on & on ( not to mention people changing their own engine oil & dumping the used oil at the corner of their shortage shed )
Not one to pollute but a small shot on a paper towel & then wiping some on one's hook & lure surely cannot be that bad.
Only once in a while when one hasn't gotten a bite.