Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterproof Camera  (Read 6312 times)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Waterproof Camera
« on: January 16, 2011, 10:14:24 AM »

I have had a Pentax Optio W20 for a number of years and taken some great pictures BUT the original equipment batteries for it are unavailable and the after market batteries I have purchased don't seem to be very good.  Either that or for some reason the camera is eating the batteries.

I am looking for your opinions and experience with the latest and best pocket waterproof camera.

Clarki Hunter

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Waterproof Camera
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 01:38:40 PM »

I'm quite fond of my Canon D10.  Its a bit bulky, but it takes great photos and is tougher than other waterproof digital "tough" cameras I've broken accidentally.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 09:39:09 PM »

I'm quite fond of my Canon D10.  Its a bit bulky, but it takes great photos and is tougher than other waterproof digital "tough" cameras I've broken accidentally.

Hey Matt if you like the styling of the D10 I've got an old cell phone for sale that might interest you.
  ;D

For what it's worth I've been using the panasonic lumix for a year now and so far it's been a great camera.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 01:23:08 AM »

Hey Matt if you like the styling of the D10 I've got an old cell phone for sale that might interest you.
 ;D

For what it's worth I've been using the panasonic lumix for a year now and so far it's been a great camera.

Don't make fun of my cell phone ;D.  The D10 admittedly looks as much a hipster fashion accessory as a fedora, but can't argue with results.  That said, I'd wear a paper bag over my head if someone switched my camera faceplate to the camo or "aqua blue" ::)

Harps

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 08:50:56 AM »

Not sure if you'd consider a waterproof digital camera that can take stills and video but we have a Sanyo Xacti VPC-E2 at work that we use a lot for snorkel surveys.  Our model is a few years old now but it takes decent stills but really good videos above or below water.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:44:06 AM »

Not sure if you'd consider a waterproof digital camera that can take stills and video but we have a Sanyo Xacti VPC-E2 at work that we use a lot for snorkel surveys.  Our model is a few years old now but it takes decent stills but really good videos above or below water.
My Sanyo VPC only lasted 1 year - it would turn on, then shut itself off in a few seconds. Also the pistol grip shape isn't the best for taking pictures - it is difficult to stabilize using only one hand, and quite often your index finger ends up in the picture.

Harps

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 10:39:14 AM »

My Sanyo VPC only lasted 1 year - it would turn on, then shut itself off in a few seconds. Also the pistol grip shape isn't the best for taking pictures - it is difficult to stabilize using only one hand, and quite often your index finger ends up in the picture.
Sorry to hear that. Did you get it fixed under the one year warranty?  We have used ours a lot since we bought in early in 2009.  I like being able to operate the entire camera with one hand, particularly important when you're floating down a river.  I don't know if I could upload some videos but I'll look into it. Anyone know if it is possible?

metalleg_man

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 11:09:16 PM »

I have an Olympus Stylus tough 8010, Its been around the world and back, been beat up and used hard, still works 3 years later. Best Camera I ever had.  I would recommend it to anyone.  I'm sure there is others out there that are good too, but just my 2 cents.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 08:41:47 AM »

--I have Stylus 1030 SW... not much of a zoom but wide angle.
--Good point and shoot scene plus shallow underwater shots.
--easily fits in pocket so Carry anywhere.
--expanded memory card so won't run out of room even on extended trip.
--a few rock scratches so shock resistant for sure
--10.1 megapixel decent quality for magazine articles

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 09:40:32 AM »

Sorry to hear that. Did you get it fixed under the one year warranty?  We have used ours a lot since we bought in early in 2009.  I like being able to operate the entire camera with one hand, particularly important when you're floating down a river.  I don't know if I could upload some videos but I'll look into it. Anyone know if it is possible?
Nope it broke 1 month after the warranty expired. I now have the Olympus Tough-3000 and have been very happy with it.

dan-o

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 09:17:39 AM »

i agree with skaha and metalleg man, i have had the stylus for a few years now and it has taken all the abuse i could hand it, from salt water to ski slopes. only wish there was a cell phone that could do the same.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 09:32:23 AM »

If you want a sturdy P&S camera that can be submerged to take an OK underwater photo of your catch in the shallows, the newer Olympus TOUGH series are hard to beat for the price.
But if you want a serious underwater P&S camera that you can also take snorkeling or light scuba diving and take STUNNING underwater pictures up to 30 feet down...there's only one worth considering: CANON D10

It also worth mentioning that the D10 takes great photos in low-light conditions - something that the Tough and Optio W series have been struggling with forever.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:03:09 PM by milo »

metalhead604

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 08:47:30 PM »

Hi all...

I have a Olympus 850SW. It's taken a ton of pictures and has some good hacks marks to the case and display and is still ticking away like new.
Overall it's a great little camera. Its a bit older now. I'm not sure how it stacks up against the newer versions but it has a bit of trouble with those grey, low cloud rainy days when set on landscape. The portrait settings on full auto seem to work fine. The macro is dynamite.  If your thinking of buying a spare battery for an Olympus  spend the extra $10.00 for the Olympus battery. The slightly cheaper Nikon hasn't got the same legs. I bought two of them and they both last about the same and  a bit short of the Olympus. No bashing intended, just my experience.  Florida's warm salt water wasn't a problem. The software is OK but it would be nice to have the option of removing the pictures from the memory card when in the software.