Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterproof camera  (Read 11356 times)

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Waterproof camera
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 09:06:51 PM »

must be the model before that, mine is XD

the sand gets in the shutter cover.

I stand corrected. That is definitely camo.
If you check the futureshop site the new model is Stylus Tough 3005 and it is identical to my older Stylus Tough 3000. Both are SDHC

Fonda Fishing

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 10:30:46 PM »

you can buy the usb cable at the dollar store.

no way!  the actual cable!?!?

i checked at dollarama and dollar giant.

i bought the card reader from dollarama but it wasn't compatible.  the best i found was a 16.00 reader from walmart.  the port is misaligned, but it does the trick for now.  i can only imagine the damage that is happening to my card from the port misalignment.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 11:00:19 PM »

Olympus stylus 850................. Have used it in the rain /used it in winter at at least -8 c and it has fallen of a Ford Ranger fender onto a logging road while driving                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r79/Spoonman_05/?action=view&current=2010steelhead.mp4           http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r79/Spoonman_05/?action=view&current=cutversion.mp4                                                                                           
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:16:05 PM by Spoonman »
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

kilgore trout

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 01:35:28 PM »

I did quite a bit of research on this because I, probably like a lot of you, use my camera outdoors a lot and I've had problems in the past with a camera shutting down when the air gets too wet. Also generally I wanted a durable camera. What I found was that the best reviewed waterproof camera was the Sony TX5. So I got one for myself as a Christmas present ;)

Info from the Sony site: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666122654

It is waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, and freezeproof. 10.2 mpx. And with zoomable HD video. So far so good. I tested it by filling my sink and dropping it in, turning it on, filming an HD video and then leaving it on with the lens cover open for about an hour under water. Took it out dried it off and then let it air dry the rest, and no problem.

You can find a point and click waterproof camera for less money, but I figured I might as well get the best reviewed one now or be sorry later. The picture quality is great. It is all touch screen menus, which can be good or bad depending. A con is the battery life. And they're not cheap. But once you've invested in a backup battery and a memory card you shouldn't have to spend again for awhile. Another con might be the size. Its a little small and has a slippery finish to hang onto, although I haven't had a problem with that and I like that fits into a pocket or a belt case easily. Also I have heard that in spite of its overall toughness, the paint chips off easily, so you should look for a silver finish if your clumsy and/or don't want it to look like crap after a few years. But I can overlook those cons because of the durability and shot quality.

I'll try and post some photos sometime.