Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: G Loomis STR 1082S (GL2) spinning rod  (Read 5685 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
G Loomis STR 1082S (GL2) spinning rod
« on: January 03, 2011, 01:16:31 AM »

I am looking to get a new light spinning reel for steelhead spinning with small spoons/spinners.

One I am leaning towards is G Loomis STR 1082S (GL2)
Specs are 9' long, 6-10 lbs, 1/4-1/2 oz. lure, moderate action, light power.

Would appreciate any feedbacks on this rod and any other suggestions.

bigblue

• Old Timer
Re: G Loomis STR 1082S (GL2) spinning rod
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »

I was surfing the net today and came across Berkley Air IM8 spinning rod with almost the same spec at about half price.
It's the 9', Light Power, Lure weight 1/8-1/2 Oz., Line 6-10 lbs.
Have anyone tried the Air IM8 rods?

Kenwee

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:04:50 PM »

I bought a Sage 296 SP from Lynwood WA. I have a casting rod 296CT and it is beautiful, light and fast. So I hunted down this 296SP. JUst bought it today and will be shipped up here next week. They have another one on hand if you are interested. I have never tried a STR 1082S. Bu I think I will be very happy with the Sage.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:20:26 PM »

If you want to go cheaper I've got a 9' Trophy XL Coho King that I really like for the money, a bit light for bigger fish in heavy water though. If you are fishing for winters that Berkely looks a bit light for tossing bigger spoons.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:12:20 PM »

I bought a Sage 296 SP from Lynwood WA. I have a casting rod 296CT and it is beautiful, light and fast. So I hunted down this 296SP. JUst bought it today and will be shipped up here next week. They have another one on hand if you are interested. I have never tried a STR 1082S. Bu I think I will be very happy with the Sage.

I am sure Sage spinning rods are excellent as I also own a CT 2106 and like it very much.
However, I am not sure I would want to spend that much money on a spinning rod.
Thanks for the info.

lapa

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 10:22:59 PM »

I am sure Sage spinning rods are excellent as I also own a CT 2106 and like it very much.
However, I am not sure I would want to spend that much money on a spinning rod.
Thanks for the info.

I have one custom sage 286 for sell. it is casting but I used it as spinning rod and it is cheaper then loomis str1082s

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 10:32:37 PM »

If you want to go cheaper I've got a 9' Trophy XL Coho King that I really like for the money, a bit light for bigger fish in heavy water though. If you are fishing for winters that Berkely looks a bit light for tossing bigger spoons.

I agree that Trophy XLs are great for the money as I also own a 9'6" Custom Series spinning rod rated at 10-17 lbs.
I have caught many coho and spring on this rod and had lots of fun.
However, I am looking for a lighter spinning rod in the 6-12lb range and about 9' long.
And you are right that the Berkley will not be able to handle bigger spoons, but I am hoping to use this rod to target early season coho or slow water spinning, so need to toss heavier hardware would be limited. Thanks for your comments.  :)

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 05:53:51 PM »

I have one custom sage 286 for sell. it is casting but I used it as spinning rod and it is cheaper then loomis str1082s

Thanks for the offer Lapa, but not looking for a casting rod at this time.  :)

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 11:56:37 PM »

I agree that Trophy XLs are great for the money as I also own a 9'6" Custom Series spinning rod rated at 10-17 lbs.
I have caught many coho and spring on this rod and had lots of fun.
However, I am looking for a lighter spinning rod in the 6-12lb range and about 9' long.
And you are right that the Berkley will not be able to handle bigger spoons, but I am hoping to use this rod to target early season coho or slow water spinning, so need to toss heavier hardware would be limited. Thanks for your comments.  :)
Cool, looking forward to those bluebacks!