Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterproof camera  (Read 11354 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Waterproof camera
« on: January 01, 2011, 10:57:04 PM »

So what does every one use for a waterproof camera while fishing? I bought my brother a fuji film xp10 for christmas and we are very unhappy with the quality of pictures, im thinking of taking it back and upgrading, any reccomendations? I personally use the old pentax optio and never have any problems.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Waterproof camera
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:58:42 PM »

Pentax Optio W30. Works fine for me I guess. I do find that the majority of the photos don't turn out how I like.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:01:05 PM »

I got an "Olympus Stylus Tough 3000" for Christmas, takes underwater HD video up to 10 feet deep,plus being waterproof, it's also shock proof and freeze proof, gonna try it out tomorrow or Monday.

Anyone got one of these ??
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 11:02:52 PM by Bently »

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:26:40 PM »

Pentax Optio W30. Works fine for me I guess. I do find that the majority of the photos don't turn out how I like.

ya i generally take 2-3 pics at a time and will get 1 the way i want sometimes 2..but it takes very nice photos for a waterproof camera though
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 11:49:55 PM »

So what does every one use for a waterproof camera while fishing? I bought my brother a fuji film xp10 for christmas and we are very unhappy with the quality of pictures, im thinking of taking it back and upgrading, any reccomendations? I personally use the old pentax optio and never have any problems.

Alot of these cameras have come back to stores because they started to leak. This was the reason I went with the Olympus stylus tough series and it has been great.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 12:20:29 AM »

Alot of these cameras have come back to stores because they started to leak. This was the reason I went with the Olympus stylus tough series and it has been great.

Kewl, I'm glad to here the Olympus stylus tough is a good camera, have you taken underwater pics or video with yours yet ??

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 12:31:35 AM »

Kewl, I'm glad to here the Olympus stylus tough is a good camera, have you taken underwater pics or video with yours yet ??

I have taken alot of under water shots. A good way to do it is get your self a monopod this way you can put the camera on the end then put the camera on the timer mode and dip the camera underwater. This will take great shots of fish without spooking them. I got a monopod at XS cargo for like $8

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 12:45:22 AM »

I have taken alot of under water shots. A good way to do it is get your self a monopod this way you can put the camera on the end then put the camera on the timer mode and dip the camera underwater. This will take great shots of fish without spooking them. I got a monopod at XS cargo for like $8

Thanks for the tip, as I am new to the underwater photo thing  ;)

Thrasher

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 12:48:20 AM »

Olympus Stylus is what I've been using.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 12:54:39 AM »

Panasonic Lumix TS1.  12 megapixels, plus HD vid.  Waterproof and shockproof (haven't tested the latter).  I used to use the Olympus stylus cameras (I owned two stylus "weatherproof" cameras) which took great outdoor photos, but poor indoor photos.  The Lumix has solved my indoor photo problems!  Highly recommended... if you can find one...;)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 08:18:59 AM »

I received a generous GC for Best Buy over the Holidays.  I was hell bent on buying a waterproof camera.  I purchased and returned the Olympus tough 6200 and the fuji xp10 and they both took unacceptable photos for the price!  They also didn't seem that "tough" to me and some of the plastics looked cheap and brittle and were very awkward to hold in my hands.

As Flyfishing Magician said the Panasonic TS1 seems to get excellent reviews as well as the new Canon D10.  If I could have found one of those I may I have bought one.

At the end of the day I ended up with a non-waterproof camera. 

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 09:29:45 AM »

only buy the best.....PENTAX W-90.

you wont be dissapointed.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 10:16:13 AM »

Olympus stylus cameras all the way ;Dnever had a problem with mine.

salmonlander

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 11:13:09 AM »

X2 Panasonic Lumix, I have never been happier with the quality of pictures this unit produces as well, HD video.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 11:28:22 AM »

only buy the best.....PENTAX W-90.

X 2!!  ;)