Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ways Field...Private Property...No Trepassing Allowed  (Read 9734 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Ways Field...Private Property...No Trepassing Allowed
« on: April 01, 2007, 09:11:25 PM »

Thought this would be something that Rodney or Chris could look into and address, We were out fishing today and stopped for a very brief fish at Ways field...The owner came out in his truck, and very politely told us that this is Private Property and we were trespassing...He said that it is now being passed that this whole section will be off limits to all fisherman and that includes the bank and rocks next to the river...He said he owns across the river to the tree line on the other side and as such there is no such thing as a high water mark etc. That this is his property and no will be allowed down the banks for fishing anymore!!! Again, he was very polite with us but said that this is now approved by your government and will be posted....

Really makes you wonder what's next for the Vedder??? How soon before all of the mid river will be off limits????

This is NOT an April Fools joke though I wish It was!!!

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Re: Ways Field...Private Property...No Trepassing Allowed
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 09:28:39 PM »

wont stop me. bull$hit on the river in my property is mine.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 09:29:16 PM »

Where is Ways Field ?

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 09:30:01 PM »

Its a "ways" up there.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 10:07:34 PM »

wont stop me. bull$hit on the river in my property is mine.

That's pretty much what Rick told him too..but he was adament about since he owns the property on the other side as well, The Government has approved his request that no one be allowed on...He also said, things are going to be changing as far as homeowners rights on the river!!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 12:30:29 AM »

Does not seem right I will send this to the FVRD Area "E" Director for his coments as well as others. Thanks for bringing this to our attention

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 07:34:00 AM »

As far as i know there are only two rivers here that property owners can own the river bottom and that is the Cowichan and Allouette.
Im thinking this guy has his wires crossed but wouldnt surprise me to see the government change things for the worse. ::)

norm_2

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 08:12:47 AM »

Chris, I understand the owners by Osborne Road have greater ownership than the high water line.  Is it possible to list out the different parts of the Vedder/Chilliwack which have these restrictions?  That way, the fishermen will not be going on private property.  If it is not possible, perhaps the municipality or other group could do it.  What I am thinking about is an authoritative listing so both sides can refer to it.

Ribwart

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 08:33:25 AM »

We fished ways field yesterday, did not run into any trouble...but he may not have been home. Seems to me whatever his property lines and his desire to keep the river access private are, it will be damn near impossible for him to enforce this no access idea.

However much I respect his property, what is he going to do during salmon season...sit out there with a salt gun all day? I say good luck to him, hope he figures it out. If what he's said is true, then he's perfectly entitled to do so. I don't fish down there much anyways, so I have no problems with it...but I'm sure that he will.

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 09:06:52 AM »

I don't know about this specific property. Generally and in 99.9% cases in BC, private property starts at the high water mark. Crown Provincial owns the bed of the river up to the high water mark. There are some properties in BC where the water covered land is titled and in private ownership.
On the Vedder specifically, there are some properties which are contigous and include the bed of the river. This may be one of those properties. If that's the case, then the owner is fully in his rights to post No Trespassing signs and enforce them. There was such a sign  near Peach Road up until 2 years ago when the upland owners got an ALR exclusion so they could develop all those new houses and townhouses if they gave up title to the river bed.
The only way to know for sure in this specific case is to go to City Hall and ask.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 09:25:48 AM »

Jurisdiction of land along a river can be confusing and frustrating and there is no greater example of this from the Vedder Bridge upriver to Tamahi. Land in this area could be under one of five jurisdictions:
1. City of Chilliwack
2. Fraser Valley Regional District
3. First Nations
4. Province of BC (Crown Land)
5. Private ownership.
It is imperative for all concerned to get this specific area (Ways Field) clearly defined so that both fisher and private owners rights are respected.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 07:33:46 PM »

Chris, Rod...any info on this yet???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 07:36:27 PM »

Some dialogue has started over emails. It'll take awhile to sort something like this out, this ain't MacDonald's you know? ;D

As soon as Chris has information available for the public, he'll either post it or forward to me to post.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 10:22:30 PM »

Chris, Rod...any info on this yet???
Talked to my MLA at a meeting tonight and the property owner has had discussion with two MLA's but it was a meeting only, with the owner requesting what you said he said. Nothing other than that, a discussion only at this time. So fish away in this area but I would suggest you do not cross his property (the field). Access this fishing area from above or below the field and keep along the edge of the river and the hope is nothing changes as access becomes more of an issue all the time.

People including fishers who drop litter, line, break down fence, chop down trees etc. do make it difficult to retain the access we have had for years on the Chilliwack River. This is partly why the CVRCC was formed to try and control garbage and littering that can threaten our access to the river as residents become angry because of these irresponsible few. That is why the ugly blocks have gone up and no camping allowed in the stretch from just above Teskey Rock to Tamahi.

As a side note, the Dyke Road on the West side of the Vedder Canal at the Keith Wilson Bridge from the start of the Canal to Barrowtown pumping station has both gates now closed partly because of the damage some people were doing with motorcycles, ATV's and 4 by 4's to the dykes. Some of you may remember we brought this issue forward a while back and said this could happen.
With a large freshet forcast this year the action of a few may have spoiled it for many. I am not sure after the flood threat this area will be opened once again, we will try but donot hold your breath.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 10:46:02 PM »

Thanks Chris, that's very interesting as we were led to believe this had already been approved and we were in the wrong... Thanks again...