Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Change from reel seat to sliding rings??  (Read 3876 times)

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
Change from reel seat to sliding rings??
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:33:19 PM »

Just wondering whether or not I can change the reel seat on a centerpin rod to all straight cork, sliding ring setup.  How hard, how much (for me to do it), as well as what to use.  If anybody has suggestions about anything to do with this kind of project, let me know!!  Just got comped a rod, and would like to change it over from its reel seat setup to sliding rings...my new CP reel has a very, VERY slim foot size, and this means that when I'm fingering the spool my wrist is on the reel seat itself, not the cork...not too comfy.

Regards,
John A.
- John A.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Change from reel seat to sliding rings??
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 11:49:03 AM »

Sure it can be done but you may have to remove most if not all the cork on the rod now. Good cork is expensive and sometimes removing the existing reel seat can be a problem.  If you don't remove the guides on the butt section you will have to epoxy the new cork rings on - you will also need a lathe or some other turning device to shape the new handle.  The question you have to ask yourself is .... is it worth it?

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 12:08:37 PM »

Sure it can be done but you may have to remove most if not all the cork on the rod now. Good cork is expensive and sometimes removing the existing reel seat can be a problem.  If you don't remove the guides on the butt section you will have to epoxy the new cork rings on - you will also need a lathe or some other turning device to shape the new handle.  The question you have to ask yourself is .... is it worth it?

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I guess, to me, it is.  I love having an individual rod, and have built and shaped grips on a lathe before, and I quite enjoy the process.

As far as removing the reel seat, how do I do this??  I've never removed a reel seat before.

-J
- John A.

fishgod

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 12:35:25 PM »

All that is required is a dremel tool with a cutting wheel - if the reel seat is plastic then you might get away with just removing the butt section of cork along with the reel seat - then just match up the cork you removed plus the extra to cover where the reel seat was.  Careful not to cut into the blank with the dremel.
I have changed a reel seat this way successfully several times but only to move a reel seat to a better position - not to change to sliding rings.  If you go without removing the upper handle - the other challenge may be in turning the upper handle to match the rings while still on the rod - depending on your lathe that may not be an issue.
Have fun!
Always pray to the fishgods everyday.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 01:18:04 PM »

All that is required is a dremel tool with a cutting wheel - if the reel seat is plastic then you might get away with just removing the butt section of cork along with the reel seat - then just match up the cork you removed plus the extra to cover where the reel seat was.  Careful not to cut into the blank with the dremel.
I have changed a reel seat this way successfully several times but only to move a reel seat to a better position - not to change to sliding rings.  If you go without removing the upper handle - the other challenge may be in turning the upper handle to match the rings while still on the rod - depending on your lathe that may not be an issue.
Have fun!

Thanks FG, appreciate the advice.  I have access to high and low speed lathes, which is better for this kind of shaping??  I have always used my high speed, because before that was the only unit I had access to.  I now have three in my garage...from low to mid to high speed.  And what did you mean by my lathe determining whether or not it's an issue?  I am slightly confused haha

John
- John A.

fishgod

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:53:51 PM »

Thanks FG, appreciate the advice.  I have access to high and low speed lathes, which is better for this kind of shaping??  I have always used my high speed, because before that was the only unit I had access to.  I now have three in my garage...from low to mid to high speed.  And what did you mean by my lathe determining whether or not it's an issue?  I am slightly confused haha

John
I'm sure you have things well in hand - personally I think the highspeed lathe is the better option - it removes material more quickly and will give you a handle closer to round and more level where you want to slide the rings.   

What I meant about the lathe was around choosing:
1) to pre-form the handle on a threaded rod (or however you normally do it) and then attempting to match the remainder of upper grip.

or 2) gluing the cork on the rod first, then just spinning the whole bottom section of the rod to make the  handle.

or 3) some combination of these would also work but, chucking the blank in the lathe can tricky - I wrap a section of bicycle inner tube around the blank or the cork to provide cushioning/protection and still get the needed traction.

A project like this can be a bit of an adventure/experimentation but, you can also change a rod that is definitely not a favorite into one you always want to use.
Good Luck
Always pray to the fishgods everyday.

cohojoe

emergency reel seat sliding rings??
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 08:39:38 AM »

Year ago  when  I broke the foot off my  china made  fly reel  ( most are cast metal )   I had to  zap strap  the reel to the  cork .   It works in a pinch.   but the same idea as  rings.    Check  an automotive supplies ,    Acklands,   plumbing store  for  rings that might fit the reel  foot.   I assume that is what you want  ;   different adjustments up or down the cork.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
Re: emergency reel seat sliding rings??
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 08:57:53 AM »

Year ago  when  I broke the foot off my  china made  fly reel  ( most are cast metal )   I had to  zap strap  the reel to the  cork .   It works in a pinch.   but the same idea as  rings.    Check  an automotive supplies ,    Acklands,   plumbing store  for  rings that might fit the reel  foot.   I assume that is what you want  ;   different adjustments up or down the cork.

Thats a good thought...saying as I work at a hardware store, shouldn't be too hard!!  I wonder if dipping them in plastidip would make them more durable?

-John
- John A.