Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Diesel trucks  (Read 3872 times)

roeman

Diesel trucks
« on: May 15, 2007, 04:03:34 PM »

Looking for a little information from those who drive or have had a diesel.
Looking at at 2005 F350, however, have heard that there is a problem with the 6 litre, anyone have one and what is your experience
Thanks
Are you fishin or catchin

4StarGeneral

Re: Diesel trucks
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 04:25:24 PM »

They are hard on fuel, the cummins is a way better truck for the $$.

The 2007's are twin turbo, not sure about this one either.

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 06:02:15 PM »

I drive a F550 SD for work...I find the turbo kicks in a little late...2500-3000 RPM...no fast starts with this truck...but running 8 hours a day it uses about 35 liters....not sure what engine size is...it has a 6 speed tranny....I just check the oil and drive it...;))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Noel

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 09:05:46 PM »

'05 F350 Dually CC LB 4x4 6.0 PSD Auto
45,000 kms and not a single problem.
15 mpg no matter what, whether empty of hauling 4000lb camper and jetboat

AlK

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 09:12:32 PM »

CUMMINS !!!

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 10:26:31 PM »

Huge problem with the F350... It says Ford on it.    ;D;D ;D

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 07:30:31 AM »

google up some ford truck forums and look at them for good info. 6.0 liter fords seem to have a reputation for having lot of problems.

Lumps

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 10:18:18 AM »

Go with the cummins, I've had a 05 and now a 07 and never had a problem. The link shows the ford recall on the 08 because of a exhaust problem I believe.

http://www.mojoflix.com/Video/Ford-Recall.html

The flames are pretty big!
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

roeman

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 03:53:01 PM »

thanks for the info
Are you fishin or catchin

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 10:11:19 PM »

Roeman,

I have had to do injector repairs and oil pump repairs on the Ford diesel engines. For extreme use, the ford does win out. Their suspension and frames are the toughest, the dodges break and the GM's suspension isn't as tough. but for everyday use, and more normal conditions, the GM's are nicer. They handle better and have tons of power. The cummings is pretty good all around, but now that Daimler has sold them off who knows what will happen.

i do work at a GM dealership in the shop and am sure that if you happen out this way there would be something you'd like and could put through the paces :)

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 10:42:14 AM »

check out the link below for all kinds of Ford info including tons about diesels. Lots of good stuff

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Noel

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 10:56:52 AM »

also a good one here

ea187

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 01:33:45 AM »

i'm a commercial transport mechanic and the cummins is the best engine but it comes in the worst of the 3 trucks.  if you plan on using the truck for hard work all the time then go with the ford.  if you are going to be driving the truck normally and just hauling the boat to the river and stuff like that then the duramx and allison are by far the best bet

sassygrams

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 09:32:24 AM »

Something I finally know about - yahoo!

The 2005 Ford 6L only had major problems until the 3rd release - anything after that is ok for that year - I am a Dodge girl though, 12 v all the way - powerful trucks they are and hold together off the start quite nicely.

I would suggest looking at either of these sites, or you can call up the place I used to work at and speak with Kevin - he'll be straight with you.  www.dieselperformance.ca

Make sure what ever you buy you spend the money to get it inspected.  Buying a diesel is so different than buying a gas and the repairs bills could cripple any common sole.

Cheers,
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 10:26:56 AM »

Something I finally know about - yahoo!

The 2005 Ford 6L only had major problems until the 3rd release - anything after that is ok for that year - I am a Dodge girl though, 12 v all the way - powerful trucks they are and hold together off the start quite nicely.

I would suggest looking at either of these sites, or you can call up the place I used to work at and speak with Kevin - he'll be straight with you.  www.dieselperformance.ca

Make sure what ever you buy you spend the money to get it inspected.  Buying a diesel is so different than buying a gas and the repairs bills could cripple any common sole.

Cheers,

Sassy!!! How the hell are you??? Haven't seen you post in a coons age.... Wondered what happened to you!!!