Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mini Rant...Why no nets when fishing the Vedder  (Read 4592 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Mini Rant...Why no nets when fishing the Vedder
« on: September 20, 2006, 02:40:56 PM »

Just something I've been wondering...I know when I'm trout fishing I carry the net on the back or boat..And I know you do tend to look like a serious beek when you walk around with the big aluminum ones..but honestly...If your concerned at all for the fish, why aren't you using a net?

I'm the first one to admit I don't like the idea of humping one around but I've got a wooden one that isn't too bad and beek or not I'm going to make the effort to bring it everytime...I've seen too many fish racked up on the beaches and It would make it a whole lot easier to identify the fish If it is wild...I also believe your catch ratio would go up as well...

I know I don't have a lot of room to talk when I took the pic. of the little guy out of the water so I could identify it..that was my mistake, I'm still learning and tend to still do some stupid things..but the net thing doesn't make any sense to me on not using one...

Last year at lickman I walked down to watch the gong show...guys on both sides flailing away for salmon...guy on the dry side was into one and I saw there was no way he would be able to land it with the current and rocks on his side...guy further down was painfully new but had a giant aluminum net..I borrowed it from him and went down and got the guys fish for him...I would like to say it was a wild and I saved it...but it wasn't and got bonked...but at least it didn't get bashed on the rocks and suffer from that...guess that's kind of an oxymoron..saving a fish for death..hmmm OK, maybe that's not a good analogy..... :-\ but it could have been a wild one and that would have saved it....

Not any kind of soapbox here, just wondering if it's a question of looking cool or if there is some reason for not carrying one???

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: Mini Rant...Why no nets when fishing the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 02:44:27 PM »

Oh and another reason to carry one is when your "been fishing for 30 year" center pin tangled buddy who doesn't like to touch them when their in the water is "supposed" to be helping you land one...by knocking most of um back in the water....yeah, big help there C.P.G.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 03:05:45 PM »

I use a Gaff they are easier to carry than the nets !!! ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 03:18:10 PM »

I don't carry a net while river fishing. I find it much easier to land a fish by beaching it. If I wish to release a fish I just wade out and release it while keeping it in the water. It's a pain to be carrying a net around while walking up and down the river. It also increase my odds of losing the net.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 03:26:00 PM »

I don't carry a net while river fishing. I find it much easier to land a fish by beaching it. If I wish to release a fish I just wade out and release it while keeping it in the water. It's a pain to be carrying a net around while walking up and down the river. It also increase my odds of losing the net.
Well said FIsh Assassin,i think only meat hunter carry big net ;D ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 03:29:53 PM »

If you do use a net, at least get one big enough for the fish you're trying to catch. All too often I see people using trout nets to land big chinooks.  ???

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 04:00:34 PM »

In some places a net certainly comes in handy and I have used them in the past oin a couple of spots. I believe if it is in the best interest of the fish go for it, if I look like a beek carrying one it is offset by wearing my Leaf hat anyway. ;D ;D

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 04:25:18 PM »

Well said FIsh Assassin,i think only meat hunter carry big net ;D ;D ;D

Not true !!!
I have never seen FishFreak with a net :)

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 04:39:13 PM »

If you're going to use a net, made sure you get one of those catch and release nets, as the regular ones are quite bad for the removal of fish slime. Most people who use nets are doing so to make sure the fish gets in the freezer :)

The new catch and release nets are more expensive, but worth it if you're trying to keep the slime on the fish.

Here is a photo: 

It's better to let the fish bounce around in a few inches of water while you remove the hook for release than to use a net in my opinion.

And yes, it's well known that guys with nets, large spinning rods, and big tackle boxes are Beeks, so be prepared... That's just the way it is here, get used to it :)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 04:50:42 PM »

Nicole you forgot the yellow raincoats :)

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 05:35:37 PM »

Thats funny golfman b/c my rant is exactly the opposite. I can't stand seeing people struggling to with thrashing fish in non catch and release nets. I would definitly rather see people tailing their fish. Mind you I'm the type of person who will wade into the water to tail a fish  order to make sure that it stays submerged.
Actions speak louder than words.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 06:22:14 PM »

It's better to let the fish bounce around in a few inches of water while you remove the hook for release than to use a net in my opinion.

And yes, it's well known that guys with nets, large spinning rods, and big tackle boxes are Beeks, so be prepared... That's just the way it is here, get used to it :)

Cheers,
Nicole

Nicole, are you calling me a river mechanic and a beek in the same sentence? I better leave my net at home then. ;D ;D

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 07:32:24 PM »

Fish with a buddy and tail the fish, even less touching the fish than using a net.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

fishfinder

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 07:59:17 PM »

I agree with Biff. No need for a net (unless you’re fishing off the high cliffs at the Cap). Just play the fish until it’s in a foot of water and take a good look to see if it’s a hatch or a wild. It’s simple. If it’s a hatch then beach it. If it’s wild then go in the water and give it a belly rub (they stay still while you that) and gently take the hook out and let it go. Having a net around will only hamper your fish landing skill. And like Nicole said you’ll just look like a desperate Beek walking around with one.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 08:03:07 PM »

And like Nicole said you’ll just look like a desperate Beek walking around with one.

Yes, because fishing is all about looking good...that's why they invented waders... ::) :P
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote