Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do any of you use your C.P.s and jigs?  (Read 2792 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Do any of you use your C.P.s and jigs?
« on: September 19, 2006, 07:12:01 PM »

I know down here Jig fishing is getting quite a following...The fly side of me understands this but while I have some excellent jigs, I haven't fished them.  I'm thinking they should be a perfect fit for a C.P. as it's all about the proper drift with jigs...Anyone using this set up? I've heard it's believe it or not the killer set up for coho's and steelies too...Thanks for the help..

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Do any of you use your C.P.s and jigs?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 07:44:11 PM »

with the free-wheel of a cp it gives the jig a natural drift and works great. ive used my islander on the stave for chum with jigs, worked awesome, no coho but you have to get beyond the sea of chum
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 09:06:26 PM »

I've had success with a baitcaster and jigs. Absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work with a CP outfit.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 09:41:01 PM »

As Kingpin said earlier, the CP will work even better with jigs than the baitcaster because you will get a virtually drag free drift with the CP over the baitcaster.  I used the baitcaster with jigs last year for the first time with some success and am looking forward to using my CP this year.
President Club S. C. & P.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 09:51:38 PM »

I had good sucess in the last few years,using cp and jigs

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 10:02:19 PM »

Do you find any weight restrictions on the jig size or can you go really little? I've seen these jigs that are the size of a dime...Don't know how they'd cast unless you did it like a spinning reel with your C.P. but i bet they would be the cats a$$ in low clear water! :o

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 06:47:09 AM »

Dime size is HUGE...I cast jigs and tie them up and a dime sized lead head would be 1/2 an once or more...thats really heavy.  The american's jig fish heavily...most of the guys I see posting reports ar casting 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigs...for summers, they are fishing tiny little things - 1/16 and 1/32.  Many americans fish spinning rods when jig fishing and they also fish braided line...those two things make casting super light presentations alot easier.

When I float fished some jigs with the Murphy's they used surgical tubing and pencil lead right below the float.  The mainline was braid and there was about 2 ft of 12lb mono connected to the jig.  This outfit was easy to cast due to the added pencil lead.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 09:24:17 AM »

Dime size is HUGE...I cast jigs and tie them up and a dime sized lead head would be 1/2 an once or more...thats really heavy.  The american's jig fish heavily...most of the guys I see posting reports ar casting 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigs...for summers, they are fishing tiny little things - 1/16 and 1/32.  Many americans fish spinning rods when jig fishing and they also fish braided line...those two things make casting super light presentations alot easier.

When I float fished some jigs with the Murphy's they used surgical tubing and pencil lead right below the float.  The mainline was braid and there was about 2 ft of 12lb mono connected to the jig.  This outfit was easy to cast due to the added pencil lead.

The whole jig was dime sized..not the head!!!

With really small ones i've seen and gotten a couple balsa floats and weighted them, so that you have enough weight to cast it..

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 10:15:49 AM »

that makes more sense!  You know, I have a couple cheapo weighted floats from asian that are stucturally great for jig fishing but their shape is crappy and the submerge part is yellow....someoone needs to make a good streamlined weighted float for fishing jigs in clear water...have you seen any like that with a center tube?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 01:32:34 PM »

Yeah believe it or not I got a couple that look like your standard balsa ones..what i was instructed to do is, take the metal spring off the bottom, cut that part off...then take a hanger and push up and through the top, works well...then I took some lead tape from my golf bag, wrapped the bottom of the float untill i got the weight I was looking for and then I put some rubber tubing over the lead tape..should work like a hot damn..

actually it might be easier to see then explain...found this other float too ..forgot i had these..can't remember where i got them now... ???

« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 01:47:38 PM by Xgolfman »

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 03:45:55 PM »

those will work well with a jig in slow water.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.