Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hardest high school year?  (Read 14717 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Hardest high school year?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 12:17:30 PM »

I found high school quite easy. It was my post secondary that was tough. In grade 12 I was slacking and showing up when I felt like it and still had a GPA over 3.0

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 12:45:39 PM »

No offense but GPA means nothing if your taking slack courses where only participation is worth marks. ie: Gym, sewing, art. Grade 12 was definatly my hardest year. I took English 12, Psycology 12, Physics 12, Calculus 12, and Chemistry 12 twice. First time around in chemistry i only got 86%. So i took it again and improved it to a 91%. I got 64% in calculus (and math is my strong point). Physics i slacked on labs and ended up with 81% in the course section, and 90% on the final.  I didn't have an honour roll GPA but i was above 3.0. I am currently taking Applied Science (AKA Engineering) at UBC. Which is more than alot of 4.0 GPA students can say.

I truely enjoyed high school because i knew how slack it was. I did what i needed to to get where i want to be without sacrificing too much of a social life (or fishing time ;D). Partied every weekend, and fished around 25hrs a week. The only advise i can give is know what you want to do post secondary. IF you have no clue take as many courses you can and be as well rounded as possible. Other than that, enjoy it while it lasts.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 12:59:46 PM »

Trust me I never took slack coarses. Biology, Chemistry, Law, Physics, French but I did take a shop class since thats the field I ended up in. Wish I went to university for law but hey you cant turn back the clock.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 01:05:53 PM »

I truely enjoyed high school because i knew how slack it was. I did what i needed to to get where i want to be without sacrificing too much of a social life (or fishing time ;D). Partied every weekend, and fished around 25hrs a week. The only advise i can give is know what you want to do post secondary. IF you have no clue take as many courses you can and be as well rounded as possible. Other than that, enjoy it while it lasts.

I agree with Dion bigtime on this one. Compared to engineering, highschool is a walk in the park. I wish highschool had of been harder for me, because I definitly got to the top (SMS score 1950) without having to put in any real effort. When I got to postsecondary it was a real shock, and I initially found it difficult with my poor study habits. Four years later, it hasn't gotten any easier, but I know what I'm up against and what it takes to succeed.

To answer the initiall question, grade 11 was the hardest year when I was going through. Grade 12 was probably the easiest because your grades are baised so heavily on your provincial exams and with the material thats availiable provincial exams are a cakewalk.
Actions speak louder than words.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 01:11:05 PM »

I'm guessing most ppl don't know what SMS is. It is just a point value u are assigned after each provicial exam. A perfect exam is 800pts, the lowest sms is 200pts.  The scaling changes depending one the distrubution curve of the marks. After grade 12 is over they take your three highest exam marks (over 474pts) and if they total to over 1700 you get $1000 from the province. I got 1759 over all with 90%math 91% chem 90%phys. So for Biff to get 1950 he must have done amazingly well.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 01:15:55 PM »

96% Geography, 95% Physics, 90% Chemisty. Should have gotten higher in chem but must have had a bad day. At the time I was unaware that there was a $2000 scholarship for a 2000 SMS score otherwise I would have re-wrote.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 01:24:53 PM »

I thought both Elementary and High school were a breeze , after leaving highschool and entering the real world that is when it got tough for me.. I was out on my own at 17 so I was working full time and going to school fulltime for four years, that is when it was tough.. I was actually looking forward to only working 50 hours a week  ;D ;D... now I look back I kinda wish I was still in school !!!! ::)

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 01:44:23 PM »

96% Geography, 95% Physics, 90% Chemisty. Should have gotten higher in chem but must have had a bad day. At the time I was unaware that there was a $2000 scholarship for a 2000 SMS score otherwise I would have re-wrote.

One of my best buddies had a perfect math. 97% Physics and a 94% chem. He got over 2000. but i don't think he got $2000. I think it was only for like a certain percentage of students at teh very top. You'd probably need atleast 2 perfects to get that. He did come within .5000%  of getting $4000 from UBC or admitance average..

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2006, 01:48:42 PM »

Thats rough....

In Alberta they give away Rutherrofd schoalarships. $2000 for an 83% average. Talk about easy street. The universities engineering department also gives away some very nice scholarships  ;D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2006, 02:04:55 PM »

Yah my buddy got a hefty sum from APEG

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2006, 03:35:40 PM »

Im in gr 10 And im getting LOADED WIth hW
way more then gr 9 and 8 toogether

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2006, 03:48:43 PM »

This thread is making me feel really old !!  >:( I have my twenty year high school reunion coming up soon

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2006, 03:58:18 PM »

lol.. I slacked off in grade 8 / 9 so bad... in grade 10 I picked it up..
I find high school really easy and if you can't manage a b average (Unless you're a total slacker) you need some studying to do!!
because you will be screwed for grade 11.. many of the terms covered in grade 10 lead into grade 11 which becomes 2x more confusing.. I guess it works like that in any grade but I must say grade 11 seems to be a big difference for me...

but I still have time to do some fun things.. :D sometimes?

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2006, 04:04:36 PM »

I dont know how you guys can say highschools easy. I can understand if it was a light load and not trying to do well or your naturally good in school. Im in GR 12 now and its pretty tough as i hate school. I work hard for only 83%avg. Gr 11 took more courses but they were easier. Next year its off to university in the states :-\ No more fishing aug-may. Anyone here go south for Unv as well?

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2006, 04:06:03 PM »

It's tough because you HATE school.. if you have a bad attitude towards something there is no way you can succeed in it.