Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: looking at new rods  (Read 6685 times)

Hook Set

looking at new rods
« on: September 18, 2006, 07:12:38 PM »

I have been looking into a new rod and rell combo for river fishing for salmon. We are looking at a trophy XL custom 10.5 foot medium heavy for $104.95. The reel we are looking at is a abu garcia 6500C3 for $129.98. I was wordering if these are decent prices for these products. I am looking for a good quality rod that will last me but not break the bank as I am fairly new to drift fishing and and my dads pockets are only so wide.  ;D
 Any info and suggestions would be appreciated

small_fish

• Hi!
Re: looking at new rods
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 07:26:19 PM »

I just brought my salmon river fishing road, just last week. I brought a shimano convernce 12-20 lb 10"6 Medium action rod.
With a abu garcia 6500C3 For $210 bucks at army and navy. I'm new to fishing, but im basically extremly happy with my setup, I will have the chance to try it out friday  ;D

Hook Set

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 07:44:32 PM »

sounds good. I am really looking forward to getting a new rod too as have had the same spin casting  rod as long as I can remember

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 07:45:51 PM »

i personally like the trophy's better then the convergances. trphys have a little more whip to em.

Hook Set

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 09:37:25 PM »

does anybody know if these are reasonable prices for these??  I am looking for a decent rod and reel.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 09:50:12 PM »

I think it's reasonable price

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 11:23:06 PM »

The Trophy XL rods have good action; slow and quite sensitive (I use the med.light 11'6" for drift fishing)  but don't expect it too last very long.  I have gone through 2 of these rods in less than 2 years (the first was replaced under warranty) but now that replacement is on it's last legs and I'm in the market for a new rod.  The Trophy rods have a problem with the epoxy cracking by the guides which eventually makes them come loose the ceramic inserts have also popped out on both of my rods on more than one guide.  On my first day out with a Trophy XL Heavy action 12' 20-30 lb bar rod every guide had a crack in the epoxy.  The guides are still holding on the rod but the cracks keep getting worse.  I think my next drift fishing rod will be a TFO.  They have nice actions, come with a lifetime warranty and are resonably priced.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 11:34:11 PM by Eagleye »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 11:57:20 PM »

i personally like the trophy's better then the convergances. trphys have a little more whip to em.
I agree I currently have a 9 foot trophy for my rapidex pin, and an 11'3 for my kf, And gonna invest in a medium trophy for my new kf, once i get some more $$$
weeeeeeeeeow!

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 12:33:53 AM »

i also run a trophy rod it's a 8-17lbs rating and have no problems with it i find that for the $$$$ it's a great starter rod.For that price i would go with the trophy

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 07:09:18 AM »

My first sage cost me $350 for a used 3113mb and an avon royale...Haven't had to replace it EVER and I have probably had it for 8-10 years!  There is a lot to be said for buying a quality tool the first time...not having to replace a rod  every 2+ years ends up saving you in the long run while giving you a better fishing experience than fishing with a cheap rod.

drift

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 09:20:24 AM »

I like the Trophy's too,not a bad price at all!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 09:40:53 AM »

Buy the best rod you can afford. It will save you money in the long run.

Headshake

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 10:12:20 AM »

My first rod was a trophy XL. For the price, it's the best value going. I would suggest buying from the local tackle shop though. Since it isn't the most expensive rod out there, it can have problems with cracking, but the service on trophy rods is outstanding. I have had mine for 10 years, and have replaced the bottom twice, and the tip once. all at a total cost of 20 bucks! If you are starting out, the local service, can and will be a big help. Eventually someone sits or steps on your rod, and you can always go to your local store, and they will fix it for you. Most of the time for 20 bucks.

Once you get fishing, you can always upgrade, and use your trophy as a back-up. Then you can really appreciate an expensive rod, once you get familiar with what you like and how you like to fish.

Just my 2 cents.
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!

mikethesportsfisher

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 09:33:15 PM »

I just brought my salmon river fishing road, just last week. I brought a shimano convernce 12-20 lb 10"6 Medium action rod.
With a abu garcia 6500C3 For $210 bucks at army and navy. I'm new to fishing, but im basically extremly happy with my setup, I will have the chance to try it out friday  ;D

Good Deal, awsome rod for drift fishing, and a decent reel. Tip, be careful if you use it for BB eyes will get wore out within 1.5 weeks.

Buy the best rod you can afford. It will save you money in the long run.

second that

The Trophy XL rods have good action; slow and quite sensitive (I use the med.light 11'6" for drift fishing)  but don't expect it too last very long.  I have gone through 2 of these rods in less than 2 years (the first was replaced under warranty) but now that replacement is on it's last legs and I'm in the market for a new rod.  The Trophy rods have a problem with the epoxy cracking by the guides which eventually makes them come loose the ceramic inserts have also popped out on both of my rods on more than one guide.  On my first day out with a Trophy XL Heavy action 12' 20-30 lb bar rod every guide had a crack in the epoxy.  The guides are still holding on the rod but the cracks keep getting worse.  I think my next drift fishing rod will be a TFO.  They have nice actions, come with a lifetime warranty and are resonably priced.

weird I have been running 2 trophy bar rods, 1 for 8yrs, and 1 for 4 years, and not one of them have had this problem, as well I know quite a few others who run these rods and swear by them as they have not had any problems, I would suggest writing an angry letter to redl sports distributors now or if it happens again.

Although I must say, they should stick to bar rods and mooching rods, as all their other rods suck!

Mike <")))))><

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 09:37:18 PM »

Why not ask the cashier at the department stores for their opinion on what's a good rod? It pays to shop at local shops. ;) Sure you may be paying a bit more but at a good store your talking to the pro's who use and fish the gear they sell. :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 09:40:02 PM by Trout Slayer »