Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jones Lake  (Read 4561 times)

urbanflyfisher

Re: Jones Lake
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 09:04:44 PM »

Here's another one from Alta Lake.

At Jones Lake, I've never encountered any specimens that are as large as the big ones at Alta. Here's a Jones Lake fish.

They also tend to be a bit on the skinny side.

Hi Rodney, I spent the last 8 years living On Alta lake, I fished it almost every evening from April to November for those years. some of you may have seen me in my zodiac trolling flies along the docks on the west side.
On October 16 2015 I caught my biggest cutty, close to 15lbs. Was witnessed by my next door neighbour Andy Petersen and his girlfriend. He was whistlers longest living resident. I was doing my evening troll with a #8 black leech on full sink right by the point docks, when my rod tip slowly went down. I thought I snagged a fallen log.. I stopped and tried yanking my line free. After a few seconds I felt a slow but hard tug. I realized it was a fish. Having caught many in the 3-5 lbs range during the spring and fall months, I knew it was big. The battle was on, as you know the older fish don’t fight very aggressively  but pull slow and hard. This thing was like a freight train, I’d reel it in 10 feet.. and he would take out 30. After about 20 minutes I was able to gain on him, he was tired. I brought him along side of my boat, the net I had wouldn’t even fit a quarter of him. He was almost black, an old man of the lake, I had him by the tail, was able to pull out my fly from his lip easily, then I lifted him up to show my neighbour Andy who was watching the whole thing from his balcony. It was just a bit over 3 feet long thick and very dark almost black, his spots were barely visible. He was released ASAP.

I wish I had a picture of him, as he is the biggest trout I’ve ever caught in my life.

It was absolutely insane.

The monsters are still in there, but getting more rare every year. The stocking is almost none existent now from what i heard. 220 in 2017, can’t find any other records for recent years.

When I first moved to Alta lake in 2012 the cuttys  were plentiful. And it’s declined every year since.

I no longer lived there, as I bought a house in maple ridge near the allouette. That is where I hunt the cutty now.