Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lessons??  (Read 9308 times)

Egmontman

• I'm a llama!
Lessons??
« on: September 19, 2004, 09:23:49 AM »

Hi there, I am new to fly fishing. I have been at it for a month or so now. I think I have some of the basics down but I have never gone fly fishing with anyone they knows what they are doing. The Langley/Abbotsford Continuing Education Guide has a good looking course on October 2nd but they have no where near the entries to have the course. The main things I have to work on are casting and choosing the correct fly for the job. Is there anyone that can point me to a place that does casting/general theory lessons? Or if you are interested call Continuing Education and sign up for the course and maybe we can get enough people.
Thanks
Michael

Langley Continuing Education
20060 Fraser Highway
Langley, B.C. V3A 4E5
Phone: 604-533-4227
Fax: 604-534-4891

P.S. The course is cheep. 45 bucks I think.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 09:25:00 AM by Egmontman »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re:Lessons??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 09:43:57 AM »

too far for me but I am also looking for some casting help- willing to beg :P

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 09:49:36 AM »

If you don't mind a little bit of a drive, try the Burnaby Continuing Education.  They have a course that would be right for you.
The wesite is:
http://www.burnabyce.com/cgi-bin/waa1gate.exe?WAA_PACKAGE=iCou6&WAA_FORM=ShowCouPg&WAA_WEB=P4&WAA_FR=BrCat
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 03:53:37 PM »

Contact Jeff Weltz, he does the Southern BC fishing report on the website. He goes by "newsman" on this forum, and he does casting/flyfishing lessons, private or group. His email address is: keta@kendryl.net

Good luck. :)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 07:42:02 PM »

Hi Egmont

Cheep does't mean quality. The first thing you need to understand is the difference between fly fishing & fly casting. While fly casting is a very effective method of presenting a fly, good fly casting  does not guarentee you any fish. My disagreement with many of the fly fishing classes out there is that they focus too much on casting while sharing too little of what actually with help catch fish. I have been teaching the above mentioned class: for the Burn. School Dist. for the last 4 years, Coq. Dist . for 6 years, & Maple Ridge for 2years. 13 hours of instruction for under $100. My Burnaby cource starts on Wednesday the 29, Coqutlam Oct .27 and Maple Ridge 27. I Hope to adding Mission Dist. to the list next year.  
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 08:13:12 PM »

any tips on good coho flys and stuff or do I hafta dig up the paper ;D   thanks.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 09:16:18 PM by leadbelly »

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 09:00:35 PM »

Christmas Tree, Rolled Mudler, Egg Sucking Leach, olive W Buggers. Movement is the key. The Ho's don't often bother with anything that they don't see as a threat to their reds. Make it look like it is trying to escape or hide and you will have their interest.

Egmontman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 09:57:11 PM »

Hay thanks everyone. Every little bit, every little tip, helps. I love the sport so far.

Newsman – Thanks for that, I have read that as well. People who obsess about long casts, does not make them a better fishermen. I just want to stop hitting myself in the back of the head. LOL.
I didn’t want to come across as a cheapskate, just trying to elicit interest in that course to get more entries. I would love to take a course from you, even a private lesson if you do those. The 5 session, evening thing puts me off as I work month on/month off.  Hmmmm. Perhaps I will look into it anyways; Maple Ridge would probably be the best I think. Who do I contact for booking info?

I bought a cheep-o rod and reel, 8 years ago and didn’t really get into it. Now I am practically obsessed. All I need now is…. A clue! LOL.

Thanks again all!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 12:31:45 AM »

Another option is to enroll in a one day fishing class on the river. Angler's West is offering a one day Flyfishing for Salmon course on Oct. 23 for $100.00 It covers reading water, fly selection, presentation and casting.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Lessons??
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 04:05:33 PM »

Hey Ed

I don't have any private lessons on the radar at the moment, Just moved to Mission two months ago and still have lots of house stuff to do.

Some how some one gave you wrong info the class consist of 4 evenings in the classroom followed by a Sat section on the water. As Maple Ridge we are in negtations, looks like I will be teaching Parks & Rec. MR as of next Jan. I am also hoping to be teaching my fly fishing courses for the Mission next school year.

In the mean time some reading will help. Fly Fishing The Trout Lakes by Jack Shaw is a good start. Follow that with A fly Fishing Primer by Rodrick Haigbrown, and Fly fishing  Strategiegs For Stillwaters by Brian Chan. Take that knowledge and start with trolling your flies. then to round your knowledge you might want to read Fly Fishing From A Womans Perspective & Fly Casting Techniques both by Joan Wulff. Master the Knowledge in all the above books and you won't need fly fishing instruction from me or anyone else. Study, practice, & perfect.

"The best fly anglers are always the best students of fly angling."

Egmontman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 10:27:35 PM »

Well thanks for the help everyone. I have a few books and maybe I will get a couple you mentioned. I also have ordered a few videos. I also watched a couple last night by a guy Named Tom White called “Successful Fly Fishing Techniques” and they were really good. As far as I can tell, practice, practice, practice eh? :)
-Thanks again all

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 01:18:15 PM »

If the course is taught by Scott (which I think it is), it should be excellent. I took an one hour private casting class from him last year and it was excellent.