Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Liquid Lace  (Read 5817 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Liquid Lace
« on: August 17, 2004, 01:53:11 PM »

What is it ?

FLYallAROUND

• Getzlaf is amazing
Re:Liquid Lace
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 09:01:17 PM »

liquid laceis a tying material that can be used for all different kindas of flies. it comes in different colours and diameters, and you inject oil into the lace. its really neat stuff, talk to the troutslayer about it, he uses it quite regularly.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 10:39:16 PM »

Liquid Lace is a fly tying material available in a variety of colours. It is a very thin tubing used as bodies for Chironomids, Damsels, Dragons etc. and for ribbing on certain patterns. Some people like myself swear by using a 27 1/2 gauge needle and injecting the tubing with baby oil before use and it blends colours together. What get's done is the baby oil get's injected through and out to the other side then a knot is tied to make sure their is no air in between. Doing this can be very messy and time consuming but after a couple of tries it will take a matter of seconds. With the clear and lighter colours I use "Pantone" pens and colour the tying thread with it then wrap the liquid lace over top. This can give thousands of colour variations.

Local fly-shops carry it and the man who introduced me to the products is Ed Smith located in Kamloops.

Here is a sample Chironomid tied with liquid lace:

Pic provided by d_w.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 10:40:00 PM by tHe TrOuT sLaYeR »

Willowbarkus

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 11:36:10 AM »

I inject my liquid lace with mineral oil. I seem to remember being told once that it stays clear and won't discolour or get foggy. Don't know if that is true or not.
Carole